Small gestures leave impact on FC community

Although my time in high school has been something I will cherish, it has not been without the difficulties and mistakes that have made me who I am today. I have not only grown in the Lord, but also in my relationships; I met new people and was given the amazing opportunity of getting to know them on a deeper level than any surface relationship could ever produce.

Ever since I can remember, my parents have encouraged and supported me in everything I pursue; they have also told me that I could be whatever I wanted to be if I worked for it. Thinking back on everything I have imagined myself doing, I would have a list much longer than this column.

The beginning of this year, as I was filling out college applications, it hit. The realization that all of those imaginary careers could actually be reality, well, I suppose I can strike astronaut off the list.

Surprisingly enough, though it is a little intimidating, I am not that nervous. Friends and I have talked about graduating since elementary school when we saw the seniors. We had never talked to any of them, but in our eyes they might as well have been royalty.

Last year some friends and I had the opportunity to play soccer with some of the elementary students during their recess, and to my shock, a good number of them knew my name, and I felt bad that I did not know their names until I remembered, “Oh, yeah, I’ve never met them before.”

Now, I am a horrible soccer player, so I was very surprised when they conveyed their disappointment that we had not come to play with them. This year, they still remember. I had no idea that such a small gesture could make such a huge impact.

So, thirteen years later, my favorite thing about Fresno Christian is still the community; the opportunity to be friends with people of all ages, all with unique stories. Even though I am completely ready to keep moving, I am so grateful for the people I have grown to love and the experiences, good and bad, that have shaped the person I am today.

Senior Amanda Merzon will be attending California State University, Fresno, in the fall.

For more senior columns, read the May 17 article, Senior accepts Christ, discovers new perspective on life.