Golf sport shorts: Eagles move on to CIF Section Individual

GOLF SPORTS SHORTS 2012–
(Tournament matches do not count toward win/loss record. For the previous match, check out the Golf sport shorts: Eagles seniors take first place. Visit the Sports Section for golf features. For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Spring sport box scores, 2012 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.)

For the Eagles schedule and statistics, check out their home page on linksplayers.com. The Eagles are currently 7-7 overall and 4-0 in the West Sequoia League as of May 7. Tyler and Jeff will next play on May 21 at Buena Vista Golf Course at the CIF Section Individual Tournament.

GOLF 2012

FC TAKES TOP SPOTS IN LEAGUE–May 7
The Eagles played in the North Area Golf Tournament at Riverside Golf Course, May 7. Roughly 75 players from across the area competed, while only the top 15 (with ties) qualify for the next round, the CIF Section Individual Tournament.

The entire FC team qualified for North Area by winning their league, but only seniors Jeff Roseth and Tyler Zaentz qualified for the next round.

Coach Jeff Hopper felt that the uneven playing field was a disadvantage to the team and that the team underperformed what they are capable of.

“With Clovis North storming out of Division 2 to beat every team in the tournament made it pretty difficult to pretend to compete at the team level, but we knew that going in,” Hopper said. “We set some goals to beat Yosemite, Kerman and Reedley (as well as Fresno High, who really wasn?t able to contend). But with only Jason going below his average today, we couldn?t defeat any of these teams other than Fresno High.

“The good news of the day belonged to Tyler and Jeff, both of whom shot 77. When they completed their rounds, we were disappointed, thinking this score would not be good enough to qualify for the Section Championship (Valley), but it was right on the qualifying number, so come May 21, these guys will have a chance to play again to go to Southern California and match their sophomore year?s success.”

Tyler and Jeff will next play on May 21 at Buena Vista Golf Course at the CIF Section Individual Tournament.