FC community gathers for convocation

Before a book is opened or an assignment given, the FC family joins together for a convocation to celebrate the beginning of the year, Aug. 13. Faculty, parents and students gathered in the Peoples Church main sanctuary at around eight a.m.

Though the theme of the school year usually changes from year-to-year, the theme will remain the same as the previous one but with a different focus. “We Are One: Standing Firm,” will serve as the cornerstone for the coming semesters.

The convocation began with Superintendent Debbie Siebert welcoming everyone in attendance before the group shared in a time of worship. Siebert also shared a personal story relating to the theme before dismissing students to their classes.

Principal Todd Bennett, having experience in both public and private schools, prefers FC’s style of relaying the theme to the student body.

“The one thing that is different about being here {FC} is that in public school the theme is just something the administration comes up with,” Bennett said. “But here, when the theme is connected to the word of God it means something. When we all get together to start off with a common mission and it’s based in verse, it means something different than in public school.”

Senior Jenna Orcutt who attended University High School (UHS) when she was a freshman, appreciates the gathering because at UHS no convocation was given at the beginning of school. Orcutt enjoyed leading worship with her fellow Worship Team members but wished more students had been involved.

“We were kind of just thrown right into school when I went to University {HIgh School},” Orcutt said. “I like that we all come together as one body to start off the year. I loved helping lead the worship time, I just wanted more students to participate in the event, such as leading a prayer.”

Parent Michelle Devereaux thoroughly enjoyed the commencement process of welcoming the students and parents to the new school year. However, Devereaux also felt student involvement in the event lacked even though FC’s theme “We Are One: Standing Firm” was strongly emphasized.

“I appreciate the unity of the staff, students and parents,” Devereaux said. “Although, I would not mind having the students more involved besides just leading worship. I think student interaction is very good because this is for them after all. It’s nice to be able to worship God freely and speak his name together as a body.”

Upon entering the sanctuary the students are seated into their classes, which helps with organization during the release of each grade. Third grader Summer Foshee enjoyed the first event of the semester and liked sitting with her classmates.

“I like the stories because they are funny,” Foshee said. “This is my third time coming to covocation. School is very fun and I like being with my classmates. I like the worship because I like singing and being here with everyone.”

For new students like senior Meredith Monke the morning gives them a chance to meet their classmates before classes begin.

“I liked that the whole school was at the convocation and that it was really welcoming to new people like me,” Monke said. “I am excited about meeting new people and I think I’m going to play soccer and softball this year.”

The time set aside to worship on the first day of school prepares the FC family for the rest of the year, Bennett said.

“It sets the tone. That’s what our school is all about,” Bennett said. “We are a great academic school, but we also come to learn the word of God in the context of school. We learn how to use it to guide our lives and to discipline us. So, starting the year in worship is critical to that.”

For more information on school events, read the Aug. 13 article
Staff remembers 2011-’12 achievements.