FC to hold annual Back to School Night

As students end their first week, parents can look forward to the 35th annual Back to School Night, Aug. 20. Junior high and high school parents are invited to meet in the FC Gym at 7 p.m., prior to visiting their children’s classrooms. Schedules that will be directing parents to each class will be given to the students before Monday evening.

Parents will meet as Principal Todd Bennett begins the night by introducing the teachers in the FC Gym. Bennett will also explain how the school day works and what the accomplishments were of the previous year. From there, parents are released to visit their students? classes in Building 6.

The faculty prepare to meet and greet their students’ parents starting by Bennett welcoming and thanking parents for sending their children to be part of the school. In balancing Christian beliefs and in keeping with the California Standards, Bennett assures parents that their children are getting a faith-based education.

“The teachers will each give a presentation about their curriculum and what they are presenting in the classroom,” Bennett said. “Our curriculum is aligned with the common course standards, however anything that?s in there that is not Biblical or goes directly against the Bible we take out.”

As a parent visiting Back to School Night, Scott Belmont, father of Noah, ’14, and Sydney, ’17, compares his past experiences in the public school system as opposed to FC.

“What makes it different here at FC is the fact that it’s more of an explanation from the teacher about what their expectations are of your kids as a student,” Belmont said. “They explain what they?re teaching, and also it’s a more personal level that my wife and I both feel on Back to School Night that comes from the teachers and what they {students} learn in their classes.”

In complementing the small school environment, Belmont appreciates the teacher-student ratio compared to public schools.

“It opens up a line of communication to where we are able to have a personal relationship somewhat with their teacher and I don?t know that you really have that anywhere else in a junior high and high school level,” Belmont said. “It opens up the door for us to feel comfortable enough to approach a teacher and ask where our kids are at and what we can do as parents to come along side them and help them out.”

Sharon Scharf has been teaching at the school for 24 years and is currently the art teacher. Even with less time than previous years, she is happy to show what her students have done in their first week.

“What we are going to be showing are the ‘Let Me Introduce Myself’ posters,” Scharf said. “Those are always exciting to show the parents of the different students who are in the classroom.”

Caleb Nale, ?14, will be attending his first Back to School Night at FC after transferring from Clovis East High School.

“I can?t wait to show my parents my teachers,” says Nale. “The teachers get to see how the students interact at home and what their parents are like. I feel like that helps the teachers relate to the student.”

After parents visit all of their children?s classes, Back to School Night will end at 9 p.m.

For more information on upcoming events, check The Feather’s