Diner prepares foods with old fashion panache

Buried in the southern industrial workplace of Fresno, lies a boxcar that serves up beefy sandwiches and hearty breakfasts. Keith’s Boxcar and Barbecue has maintained a strong clientele for the past couple of months. With much publicity, Keith’s Boxcar cafe has risen to one of Fresno’s top places to eat.

The boxcar (the actual restaurant painted to resemble a boxcar) itself is not that big, there is limited seating and at some points making it very hard to find somewhere to sit during business hours. The decor is not too shabby as a 50s breakfast bar with rock music playing in the background.

The ambiance was not inviting in the beginning, but that changed as customers started to fill the restaurant. The boxcar tends to serve poeple who are mainly industrial workers close by, or people who work downtown. Despite the long distance for me, I know I will travel to Keiths Boxcar and Barbecue to eat.

While sitting at the table, I was browsing through the menu and I kept coming back to the thought of a delicious breakfast sandwich with fries; I also wanted to try their pork sandwich that everyone seems to be talking about. So, my dad and I decided to order both and share.

While waiting foe the food to be made, I watched Keith drop his potatoes through the old-fashion, by hand, potato slicer. After about 10 minutes, our food was ready and I couldn’t wait to sink my teeth into a thick sandwich.

My basket (the food is served in a red basket) consisted of two thick slices of bread that was grilled with butter stuffed with two over-medium eggs, some bacon and a hand full of fries. While indulging in my sandwich, the yoke of the egg gushed out, the apple-wood smoked bacon was so crispy I could hear it break and the fries were cooked just the way I like them.

That breakfast sandwich was beyond what I expected, it took me back to the days when my father cooked breakfast for my whole family on Saturdays. After eating half of the food in my basket, I switched baskets with my father.

The pulled pork sandwich was phenomenal and dripping with barbecue sauce. I immediately knew the pork was delicately seasoned and slow cooked. The restaurant is known for their pulled pork sandwiches, and now I understand why. Keith slaps a bunch of pork on this particular sandwich and almost all customers come back wanting more, just like I did.

Keith’s boxcar is unique, there are only a hand full of diners like this. I would recommend that when dining in to not have a large party due to the limited space, but there is always the option of take-out which is quite fast and I feel there is more food given when ordering for breakfast or lunch.

The restaurant is economical for two people, our bill totaled at $13 and some cents, and my stomach was satisfied. Though the restaurant is far from most inner city destinations I find it worthy of a long drive into the industrial area to eat this hearty meal, that will keep you licking your fingers.

For more information contact Keith’s Boxcar Barbecue and Cafe at at 2949 E. Hamilton, in Downtown Fresno, CA 93721 or call them at 559.498.3700.

For more reviews, read the Sept. 5 article, Three-tier plot rushes ‘The Words’ (VIDEO).