Upperclassmen build relationships with jr. high students

As school extracurricular activities start again, high school students are encouraged to follow the year’s theme, “We Are One: Standing Firm” by mentoring students from the junior high. The guidance programs, Brother to Brother and Sister to Sister, look to bring the school community together.

Junior high science teacher Terry Richards has been leading the Brother to Brother program for three years. Richards has seen the program grow in participants each year and the positive relationships that have formed.

“The first year I only had a few but each year its been growing; the experience I get and the feedback that I get from both the high school and junior high students is very helpful,” Richards said. “Younger guys need to be mentored by older guys because the older guys have been there before. They?ve gone through junior high and already know what?s going on. When they get together, the younger students really benefit.”

High school boys who would like to join the program need to get an application from Richards. The applications are due before Friday, Aug. 31 when the first training session will be held in room 627 during lunch.

The Sister to Sister Program is led by History teacher Hallie Rojeski, also a junior high teacher, who will been operating the program for her second year. She enjoys seeing high school girls take interest in younger girls and forming mentoring relationships which both girls can benefit from.

“For the junior high girls it gives them someone to identify with, especially when it’s an older student that is a mentor who knows them,” Rojeski said. “For the older girl, it allows them to share what God has been doing in their lives. Also, they guide the younger girls through the difficulties of being a junior high girl.”

High school girls interested in joining the program must see Rojeski for the application and turn them in by Monday Aug. 27. The first meeting is scheduled for Sept. 4 in Rojeski?s room at lunch. However, lunch will not be provided. On Sept. 11, “older sisters” will be paired with their “younger sisters.”

If you have any questions, contact Terry Richards or Hallie Rojeski.

For more news articles, read the Aug. 23 article, FC to host first football game of the season.