BRIEF: Classes meet to share devotional, information

This year the Leadership Class wanted a new way for students to interact and participate more with those in their grade level. So, the Leadership class decided that the best approach for this would be through class meetings, Aug. 30.

Student Leadership member Kevin Thao, ’13, helped run this new project for all four classes.

“I think that class chapel is a great idea,” Kevin Thao said. “As a senior this year it would be a nice time to try out class meetings since I’ll get to experience them for myself before I graduate. I’m also looking forward to them too since we’ll discussing senior retreat, and we will be deciding how we want our class shirt to look like at the end of the year.”

Leadership teacher Robert Foshee believes that the class meetings will be a good opportunity to have chapel.

“Last year we wanted to have an opportunity for students in their classes to minister to their own class members,” Foshee said. “Chapel would be in their homerooms with their own students.”

The meetings will take place once a month on a Thursday chapel schedule. These meetings will start out with a devotional, and each class will discuss their own priorities.

Academic adviser Michelle Warkentin will be sharing varying information with the high school students on Thursday as well.

She will be discussing college planning with the freshmen in room 601 during their English classes. The sophomores will be learning about the high school online paper, The Feather, in room 601.

“I’m really excited about tomorrow’s freshman class meeting,” Morgan Koop said. “I want to know what classes I have to take before I go to college, and the courses I won’t need. I want to major in chemistry like my dad.

During their class period, the juniors will be discussing upcoming events and sports in room 602. Finally, the seniors will be learning more about their senior retreat at Calvin Crest. They will also be deciding the designs for the senior shirts in room 606.

For more news check out, Upperclassmen build relationships with jr. high students.

For more information, contact Michelle Warkentin or Robert Foshee.