Book Buddies program begins, Sept. 26

[/media-credit] In 2003, the year Amparano returned to Pinedale, the connections between Pinedale and Fresno Christian have been steadfast ever since.

Program strengthens FC students community involvement

The annual Book Buddies program at FC will begin, Sept. 26. Run by Linda Amparano, volunteer coordinator, Book Buddies provides a chance for high school students to connect with elementary students through reading. Their weekly time spent together allows for children and teenagers to form close bonds with eachother.

The program was created by Diane Dillie, and is held at Pinedale Elementary. The original name for the program was “Literacy in Neighborhood Churches, (LINC)” but after a request to change it it became “Book Buddies” in order to to fit in with the school.

In 1996, the program was introduced to the campus but came to a stop after Amperano left Pinedale. All connections with the school and any Book Buddy programs were broken, until 2003. That year Amparano returned to Pinedale and the connections have been steadfast ever since.

Amparano’s volunteer work has extended farther out than just book buddies. She helps families during Thanksgiving and Christmas with food and clothing. She has started networking with various churches, non-profit organizations, businesses and city officials.

Amparano’s major involvement in the club has created many memorable stories. She adores many things about it but really enjoys the chances given to people to form close friendships.

“One of the things that mean the most to me besides the reading is the mentorship,” Amparano says. “I was raised in Pinedale and I was blessed with some incredible mentors. I want to be able to bring quality mentors to our children through the various programs I facilitate.”

One of the things that mean the most to me besides the reading is the mentorship. I was raised in Pinedale and I was blessed with some incredible mentors. I want to be able to bring quality mentors to our children through the various programs I facilitate. –Linda Amparano

Students across the FC campus have grown fond of the program. They too believe that it is a wonderful opportunity to mentor young kids.

Senior Caitlin Gaines, joined for the extracurricular credit. She also enjoys being a positive role model in the kids lives.

“I like it because I can use it for service for college applications and its fun to read to them,” Gaines says. “Its not hard but you’re also impacting these kids in a positive way by being like a role model once a week to them.”

Sierra Duffy,’16, has devoted her time and love to the children since freshman year.

“I did it the other two years, freshman and sophomore year,” Duffy said. “I am seriously in love with it. I love the kids, they’re so sweet and they just look forward so much to just something as simple as having someone reading to them. It’s just the cutest thing to me.”

Any students interested in joining meet in room 603 for a manditory informational meeting, Sept. 26.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @nhudecek16 or through email at [email protected]. Follow The Feather via Twitter @thefeather, Instagram @thefeatheronline and Facebook @thefeatheronline.