Senior overcomes social fears through school

Jenna Orcutt, ?13, has always been a pretty normal kid and an ideal student who is driven by motivation and her hardworking personality. In her senior year of high school, Orcutt loves every part of FC ? the teachers, the students and the atmosphere.

Orcutt has many friends on campus, including Elora Hargis, ’14, who appreciates her happy-go-lucky personality and positive, encouraging attitude.

“Jenna refuses to say a bad word about anyone,” Hargis said. “I tried all last year in biology to make her mad or say something bad, to test her humanness, but she never did.”

At first glance, Orcutt appears to have a perfect life as if school has always been easy for her. However, she admits that she has struggled through most of her education, though not with the academic aspect.

“I was so shy in elementary school,” Orcutt said. “I don’t really know why I was afraid of people but if they weren’t in my group of friends, I wouldn’t talk to them. I think I was afraid of not being accepted and of starting the initial conversation.”

Orcutt attended Eaton Elementary until fourth grade, when she then transferred to Manchester Elementary. After that, she went to Computech Middle School for all of junior high and then started ninth grade at University High School (UHS). But for most of her time there, Orcutt had difficulty connecting with the people around her.

“Because I was so shy, especially my freshman year, I missed a lot of opportunities to share my faith, and even to get to know people,” Orcutt said. “I had some chances but I would get scared, so I opted out.”

School was not the only place where she struggled to connect with her peers. Orcutt’s mom, Ann, remembers when Jenna first came into junior high at Peoples Church (PC).

“She had never liked the grade Sunday school classes, so she stayed with us in Big Church,” Ann said. “But she connected with Vanessa Markarian {People’s Church employee} in seventh grade, and has loved going to youth group, being with her peers and being a part of a church family ever since.”

By March of her sophomore year, Orcutt decided that she wanted to leave UHS. On coming to FC, she knew that she needed to make some changes if she wanted to be effective in her faith, even on a Christian campus.

“I realized that being shy was not the way to make friends,” Orcutt said. “You actually have to talk to people, so I started to get out of my bubble.”

Orcutt believes that being at church and getting to know the people there has helped her in her interactions at school. She also credits her confidence in communicating with people to her faith in God.

“Something clicked, and it must have been God,” Orcutt said. “When I left UHS, I wondered, ‘Why could I not have done that all of freshman and sophomore year?’ I started to like saying hi to people in the halls and I wasn’t as afraid of talking to them.”

As Orcutt has gone through the youth group at PC, Markarian has watched her mature and has enjoyed seeing change in a student she has invested in.

“I’ve seen lots of growth in her faith, leadership skills and overall happiness,” Markarian said. “There wasn’t really a defining moment but it was kind of a gradual change, just over the years that I have known her.”

Despite Orcutt’s initial shyness, she has developed a love for drama and performing, and has grown in her love of music and singing. She hopes to pursue some of these passions but is unsure how to do so.

“I don’t know if I want to keep doing drama once I get to college,” Orcutt said, “If the college I go to has a choir, I would definitely want to join. I’m not choosing a college based on whether or not they have a choir, though.”

Orcutt plans on continuing her education in college to qualify herself for any job opportunities she may have, but she is not yet sure where she wants to go. Ironically, the biggest obstacle Orcutt faced when she was younger is a defining factor of the occupational field in which she wishes to work.

“I might want to be an elementary teacher or a nurse because I would get to help people in need,” Orcutt said. “Something where I’m helping people everyday would be awesome.”

Besides going to college, Orcutt hopes to be involved in missions work after she graduates from high school.

“I might want to do something like Youth with a Mission (YWAM) or some other missions trip,” Orcutt said. “I want to see what God wants to do with me in terms of missions.”

Ann is glad and grateful for the opportunity Orcutt has had to attend FC, and she looks forward to her last year in school. She is excited for the growth she has seen in Orcutt’s walk with the Lord.

“Jenna has grown so much over the years in her ease with people, especially at FC,” Ann said. “It really has been the best choice for her. After leaving University High {UHS}, she has flourished at FC scholastically, socially and spiritually.”

This year, Orcutt is most looking forward to finishing strong, growing with the senior class and enjoying what is left of her high school career. She aims to keep a positive attitude, live for Christ and to not dread senior year. From the students and teachers at FC, she hopes to see a spirit of unity.

“I hope to see us all come closer to each other and to the teachers,” Orcutt said. “Being divided makes the days awful but being united makes life so much better.”

Looking ahead to graduation, Orcutt knows that she will miss the opportunities to learn important life lessons in the safe environment high school provides but she is thankful for her teachers, friends and family who have helped her through school.

“Coming to FC was the best decision of my life, besides accepting Jesus,” Orcutt said. “Without FC, I wouldn?t be as happy as I am today and I wouldn’t have learned what I’ve learned. I’m at a good place today because of Jesus and what God has done in my life using school.”

For background information on Orcutt, see the March 17 article, Get to know: Jenna Orcutt.

For more features, see the Sept. 6 article Germany tour bonds Fresno choral group.