BRIEF: Parents needed for athletic events

As fall sports begin their games, meets or matches, the activities at the events require volunteers. They are needed to run the snack bars and perform various duties such as line judging or announcing. Currently, many sports still need parents to volunteer or help out.

Principal Todd Bennett wants people to volunteer, and believes that it shows good examples of service.

“We definitely need volunteers,” Bennett said. “It’s very important that people serve; we need to show our students good service. There are lots of opportunities to serve. We need people to run the concession stands, collect money at the gate and operate the scoreboard.”

Football player Brandon McCormick, ’13, agrees that parents’ help is needed, but doesn’t think all of them are required immediately.

“We do need people to help the team,” McCormick said. “We don’t have any people for team meals or some of the game preparation. A few volunteers would be great for now, and then eventually we could build up to the full number of volunteers.”

Athletic Director, Mick Fuller explains that there are many duties performed by volunteers at games. When there are not enough people, the stress makes people less likely to sign up again.

“A given high school football game requires at least 15 volunteers, and the youth football games require 20,” Fuller said. “We need people for working the gates, security, set-up and clean up. It takes a lot of hands to make the job go smoothly, and if we don’t have enough volunteers, it creates a lot of stress for those who do come out to help us, making them less likely to volunteer again.”

For more information, go to the Athletic Office or email[email protected] Fuller at or at 559-299-1695 Ext. 124.

For more news, read the Sept. 11 article, JazzFresno provides monthly musical entertainment.