Volleyball sport shorts: Non-league games

The girls varsity volleyball team played their first non-league game of the season against Laton Mustangs, Aug. 21. The FC Eagles were anticipated to play against the Mustangs while preparing themselves through summer practices.

The Eagles started out strong by defeating the Mustangs in the first two sets. In the first set, powerful serves and digs from senior captain Kristen Rosenthal, who had 9 digs helped the team tremendously. However, the Mustangs were not willing to give up and kept the score close, 25-22.

Despite their effort, the Eagles were able to defeat them by working together as a team on the court. The second set was similar to the first. The Eagles kept strong defense by digging and blocking every ball possible, winning, 25-11.

Despite winning the first two sets, the Mustangs defeated the Eagles in the third set by changing plays, thus causing confusion for the Eagles. Although the Eagles lost, 25-14, FC came back on the fourth set by defeating the Mustangs, 25-22.

According to senior Lexie Ellis, who had 1 kill, 1 block and 11 digs, she is satisfied with the first win of the game. Ellis believes that it is crucial to focus on God rather than winning.

“It was a great feeling winning our first game,” Ellis said. “It was also a good way to start out. In order to lead our team, I feel like encouraging and always motivating each other will keep us going strong. In order to keep winning, I feel that putting God first, bonding as a team, and having strength in our hearts that we will succeed is the number one way that will keep us winning.”

After winning their first scrimmage against Laton Mustangs, the lady Eagles played against Immanuel Eagles, Aug 30.

In the first set, FC struggled with serves and following the game plan, losing 25-16. After losing the first set, FC got back on the court in order to face the Immanuel Eagles. Despite their efforts, the FC Eagles were not able to defeat the Immanuel Eagles, losing the second set, 25-18. In the third set, the Eagles caught up to the Immanuel Eagles by communicating and working together as a team. However, they lost by four points, 25-21.

According to senior captain Bri Graff, she is proud of her teammates for their efforts. It is crucial to have strong offense and remember correct plays and positions for the next game, she said.

“Our offense wasn?t so good,” Graff said. “I think we should have attacked stronger. Also, nerves got to us, so we sometimes forgot where we were supposed to go to or what we were supposed to do in certain situations. For our next game, we need to relax a little and just focus on the game. But I am really proud of my teammates for playing their hearts out.”

Assistant coach Krista DeMars says the team needs to be constant with hits and serves. It will also benefit the team if they are prepared mentally.

“No matter what the other team does, we just need to play our game,” DeMars said. “We need to be persistent with our hits and serves. It is also important to mentally prepare for the game.”

The Eagles will next play against Liberty High School at 5:30 p.m., Sept 7.

For more sport shorts, read the Sept. 4 article Football sport shorts: Laton.