Seniors bond through activities, strengthen relationships

With three years and one month of high school behind them, the senior class of 2013 made their way to Calvin Crest for the annual FC Senior Retreat, Sept. 8-9.

The students met on campus on Saturday morning at 9:30 a.m., piled their luggage into a bus and bubbled with excitement as they awaited the much anticipated trip. Bible teacher Robert Foshee and Music Director Michael Ogdon accompanied the class, along with three FC alumni who acted as chaperones: Kayla Haydock, ’10, Kory Thompson, ’11, and Jenna Yee, ’11.

Upon arriving, the class was divided up into teams and was given time to come up with a team name and cheer. During the afternoon, they participated in team-building activities such as the trust fall and spider web. After completing the initiatives, teams competed against each other in kickball and beach volleyball.

Along with partaking in group recreation, the seniors were allowed to choose their cabin, which allowed them to grow closer both in the cabin and while doing the activities, according to senior Kaelene Presson.

“I liked how everyone got to know each other better and I felt like I got to meet new people in my cabin and hang out with them,” Presson said. “Doing all the sports and activities was really fun. My favorite part was hanging out with the people in my cabin and staying up talking to everyone.”

Once the afternoon activities were finished, the seniors had free time to play ping-pong, card games and interact with each other. In the evening, each team performed a skit for their classmates and went on a night hike, where the class was able to share stories and encourage one another.

The seniors wrapped up the weekend with Wii games, music and ice cream in the dining hall, but to top everything off, the well-known wrestling matches began to take place when the girls and boys returned to their cabins for the night.

Senior Kevin Thao appreciated the team building exercises, but enjoyed the night-time wrestling competition.

“I enjoyed the wrestling because it bonded us even more and it wasn’t something to see who was stronger or better, it was something we wanted to have fun with,” Thao said. “I liked the bonding with my fellow classmates and I enjoyed working together with people who I didn’t really know. Everything we did just built us more together.”

According to Foshee, he enjoys seeing talents come out in each class and how the seniors form stronger relationships.

“I think each class is different and this class is really neat in how they interact together,” Foshee said. “It’s {Senior Retreat} super tiring but I would never trade it because you get to see them in a different area and different light. You get to see all their talents shine through and see people come out of their shells and accept each other.”

While the senior class may grow closer on the trip, the greater hope is that they will take what they learn from each other and apply it back at school, Foshee said.

“It’s just kind of a picture of the body of Christ,” Foshee said. “My hope is that they can take that direction they want to go with their class and not just keep it up on Oakhurst {CA} but to bring it down here and affect their class and school and all the other students around them.”

According to Haydock, senior retreat was a memorable experience during her senior year. Due to her coming back as a chaperone, Haydock was able to reflect on how the trip affected her personally and how it serves the senior class as a whole.

“It was really interesting going back to Calvin Crest,” Haydock said. “I was flooded with memories of my senior retreat and overall high school experience. When I was a senior, this class was in eighth grade, so it was amazing to see the growth in each one of the students. I think senior retreat is important because it sets the mood for the year.”

As Haydock gets older, she says that it is easy to forget her history at FC but says that going back to Calvin Crest was a good reminder, and example of why it is important for the senior class to be unified.

“I think that as I’m getting older and going into adulthood, that it’s easy to forget my roots at FC but being on senior retreat was a great reminder of my high school experience and the things I learned and the people that impacted my life,” Haydock said. “I think it’s important for the senior class is unite because other classes will look up to them and they can set a positive example.”

For more information about Senior Retreat, contact Robert Foshee.

For more features, read the Sept. 6 article, Germany tour bonds Fresno choral group.