(UPDATE: Oct. 1) College fairs provide information, choices (VIDEO)

UPDATE: Oct. 1 For upperclassmen interested in gaining more information on college, the College Information Night will be held from 6:30 -8 p.m. in the Jackie Johnson Room, Oct. 1. Academic Adviser Michelle Warkentin will be presenting information on all things related to college, from scholarships to college applications. Attendance is recommended for all seniors and more juniors.

For all students interested in applying to any of the following universities: Duke, Georgetown, Harvard, Penn or Stanford, there is an Exploring College Options Meeting at 7:30 p.m. at the Holiday Inn Fresno Airport, Oct. 2. You must register online to attend this event. Please see Michelle Warkentin for more information. Students do not have to be seniors to attend.

Three college fairs will be held to give high school students the opportunity to meet with representatives from colleges, Sept. 12 and 18. Fresno Area College Night, FC?s college fair, and a Christian College Fair hosted at Buchanan High School will each present a variety of schools for students to learn about.

The 2012 Fresno Area College Night will be held in the Fresno Convention Center in the New Exhibit Hall, Sept. 12. This event is hosted by the Fresno County Office of Education from 6 to 9 p.m.. There will be special sessions including a parent orientation from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.. Representatives from California State University campuses, University of California (UC) campuses, Private Universities and Colleges and many more colleges will attend. Admission is free.

Academic Advisor Michelle Warkentin explains the many benefits of college fairs.

“Having all these resources in one location is very beneficial, because it’s hard sometimes when students don’t know which directions they want to go in,” Warkentin said. “At the area college fair there will be Christian colleges, UCs, four-year colleges, and two-year colleges, so students can compare all the options right next to each other.”

Fresno Christian College Fair

FC will also be hosting a college fair starting at 12:45 p.m. until 1:20 p.m., Sept. 18. Mostly representatives from small Christian colleges and a few technology schools will attend.

Warkentin notes that this is a good opportunity for students to ask about scholarships, financial aid, housing and other specific questions they may have.

“Christian colleges can be very expensive, so learning about scholarships and payment options can be very helpful,” Warkentin said. “A lot of the colleges offer great scholarships, so talking with college representatives early on this semester before students start applying will put students a step ahead of other applicants.”

Jessica Healy, ’13, attended the college fair last year and thinks that it is a good opportunity to compare different colleges and learn more information about the college process.

“I think the college fair is important, because it’s a good way for us students, especially juniors and seniors, to learn more about the different opportunities each college offers,” Healy said. “Not everyone knows what’s out there, and the college fairs are really helpful and informational.”

JP Caprioglio, ’13, who will be attending the fair this year, hopes to learn more about the different requirements needed to attend college.

“I’m attending the fair to see what different colleges have to offer and discover the requirements in order to attend,” Caprioglio said. “I’m looking forward to it.”

Christian College Fair — Buchanan High

A Christian College Fair will be hosted at Buchanan HIgh School, Sept. 18. This will take place from 6 to 8 p.m. Approximately 30 Christian colleges will be there, including Azusa Pacific, Biola, Fresno Pacific, Point Loma Nazarene, Westmont, and Whitworth. The fair will be held in the multipurpose room, and a map of the campus and parking can be found here. This fair will have most of the same schools that come to the FC fair in addition to many other colleges.

Warkentin advises students of all high school grade levels to attend the fairs.

“Mainly I think juniors and seniors should attend the college fairs, because they?re in that stage of life and college preparation time, but it is never too soon to start planning for college,” Warkentin said. “I would recommend all of our students and parents to attend. Go with a list of questions in mind and go to your top three choices first. Then, you can browse around at the other colleges.”

For more information on the Fresno Area College Night, contact Jennifer Quinn-Yovino, Special Projects Coordinator at 559.265.3014. For more information on the FC College Fair contact Michelle Warkentin. For more information on the Christian College Fair contact The North American Coalition for Christian Admissions Professionals (NACCAP) Headquarters at 888-423-2477 or Emilee Slater, Fair Coordinator 559.453.5584.

Updated by Tynin Fries, Editor-in-Chief