NFP to hold third-annual Fellowship Night

Being a new family at a new school can be tough for some, especially when they do not know anyone. Of the 61 new students attending FC this year, there are 48 new families. It can be difficult to become connected, get to know people, become informed and to feel a sense of belonging.

To help solve this problem, the New Family Partnership (NFP), a school and parent support group, has held a gathering at the beginning of each year called Fellowship Night. This year will be the third annual event.

The NFP provides each new family with two FC families who have volunteered to support and help them when needed. This event is a great opportunity for the new families to get to know their host families.

The NFP will be throwing this dinner at John’s Incredible Pizza, Sept. 13. The event will run from 6-7:30 p.m. and is exclusive to the new families and their host families. All guests should go in through the party entrance, where someone from FC will be waiting to greet and direct them to the location of the dinner.

Kathy Pierce, assistant to Superintendent Debbie Siebert, is helping to put on the event. She says that host families are assigned specifically and purposefully to best fit the needs of the new additions to the FC family.

“We try to pair the new families with host families who have kids in the same grade and age group so they are better able to connect with each other,” Pierce said. “Chances are, if the new family has a kid in high school, they are not going to the same events as a host family who has a kid in second grade.”

According to Pierce, the goal of Fellowship Night is to welcome the new families and to connect them to other families who are involved in the community at FC.

“We have 22 host families who are willing to support these families and answer any questions they may have about FC,” Pierce said. “We just want the new families and students to feel welcome and included and to help them become oriented with what is happening here at FC.”

For more information on this event or other parent-sponsored activities, contact the FC campus office at 559.299.1695, ext. 101, or by emailing Kathy Pierce.

For information on last year’s Fellowship Night, read the September 12, 2011 article BRIEF: New families to convene at Fellowship Night.

For more news, read the Sept. 4 article, Academic Decathlon team discontinued.