Perfected Jazz Opinion article

Instead of attending only the ArtHop like so many of my fellow comrades, I also decided to visit the JazzHop, an event that features the musical talent of several local musicians. The JazzHop takes place on the first Thursday of every month and is sponsored by JazzFresno.

For my first JazzHop, I went to Zen Wok Fusion, a small restaurant in the tower district. I had thought the event started at the same time as the ArtHop, so I ended up arriving an hour early. However because I got there early, I had my first choice of seats.

The musicians were planned to play on the front porch, so I was pleasantly surprised to find an outside dining option. The porch was aligned with torches which when lit made the restaurant luxurious.

I had the pleasure of meeting one of the musicians, Oklin Bloodworth, whom I had a pleasant interview with him, as he was always cheerful. He was a very patient man while I interviewed him about his musical profession.

The music started soon after. I learned that Oklin Bloodworth, and Merlinda Espinoza would be playing that day. I was anxious to hear the music that the two groups would play. Merlinda Espinoza sang love songs that were interlaced with her Spanish lyrics.

The guitar complimented her voice as she performed, making wonderful music. The way she emphasized certain words in a song told me clearly what each song meant to her. She had a beautiful voice and listening to her songs lifted me up when they were about love, and saddened me when she sang of heartbreak.

I listened to a few of Merlinda’s songs, but since both the ArtHop, and the JazzHop occurred at the same time, I had to leave early to make it to the ArtHop. I went to an Art Gallery across the street of Zen Wok Fusion known as the Spectrum Art Gallery.

When I arrived we walked through the exhibit. I was first amazed at how every photograph had it’s own uniqueness to itself. There was an assortment of photographs that awed me, scared me or mad me laugh. Since this was the first time I went to an ArtHop, I did not know what to expect. However, when I arrived, I was welcomed, and brought to the middle of the exhibit where the artists had set up a snack bar for their visitors.

The art gallery was displaying the pieces donated by several artists to be auctioned off at the end of the month. Therefore, this wasn’t an exhibit based on the works of one artist. This gallery primarily focused on photography.

One of the artists who was featured was Richard Harrison. He has been a photographer for a number of years and decided to display a hauntingly beautiful photo of the moon. Though Harrison normally submits fine art photos, for this particular studio, he wanted to show some of his different pieces such as his Into the Night art piece.

While looking through the art gallery I met another artist. Rebecca Caraveo has worked in the studio for twenty-two years. She decide to display a beautiful picture of the Eiffel Tower with Trees although Caraveo works with other art styles.

After I finished seeing the art gallery, I headed back to hear a few songs from Bloodworth. Since this is the first Art and JazzHop I have ever been to, I was surprised at what I had experienced. I was happy to go to an event like this as it broadened my perspective on both art, and jazz music.

Check out the upcoming ArtHop and JazzHop article next month, by The Feather, October 4.

For more information about Richard Harrison, read the November 22, 2011 article Artwork displays Central Valley’s intricacies or the December 6, 2011 article Christmas gallery features jovial mood, campus junior.

For more information about ArtHop, read the March 8 article World art of Rhythms and Patterns inspire.