Soccer gearing up for playoffs

While yelling, “Fresno’s number one”, the FC girls’ soccer team ran up to receive the Valley Championship trophy in the West Sierra League against Templeton two years ago. This is Michelle Smith’s, ’04, favorite memory in her soccer career and the team goal this year is to relive the memory.

In Bakersfield at the Garces Tournament, FC defeated Tehachapi, 2-0 on Dec. 21. While the team had a disappointing game against South High, 1-3, they still received sixth out of 32 teams.

“When we played Tehachapi, the girls played with intensity and determination,” head coach Robert Foshee, said. “During the tournament we learned a lot about our team and what it takes to win games.”

As team captain and sweeper, Smith has been playing for nine years. She has been awarded W.S.L All League player both her freshmen and sophomore year. She has also been named All-Tournament Team player at the annual Fowler Tournament for freshmen and junior year.

“Soccer isn’t my life, but it is a fun part of it,” Smith said. “The best things are hanging out with the girls and getting in shape.”

Two years ago, Suyen Milian, ’05, went out for the girls’ three-time league champion soccer team just for fun. Milian never thought of becoming the starting goalie that the team depends on. Milian’s experience and skills are essential for the team’s success as any goalie is to their team.

“I love soccer, it is so much fun,” Milian said. “But one of the bad things of being a goalie is when I let the other team score I feel like I let my team down, but I am slowly getting used to it.”

In recent games, the girls’ beat Tranquility, 13-0, on Jan. 14 and Mendota, 13-1, on Jan. 16.

Practices are becoming increasingly intense as the team prepares for the playoffs in hopes of playing for the Valley Championship. The next game is on Jan. 22 at home versus Firebaugh at 3:30 p.m. The girls’ overall record is 15-1-4 and 5-0-1 in the West Sierra League.

For more information on the girls’ soccer team, students and parents can contact Coach Foshee at 297-9464 ext.143.