9/11 memory impacts senior

America, struck with tragedy, was left in shock at 8:52 a.m. on Sept.11, 2001. In seconds our country was forever changed; millions of people confused, surfed the internet, made phone calls and watched the news for any information of what happened in New York City.

Only being in first grade, I remember this day vividly, as if it were yesterday. I remember my father receiving a phone call from his business partner telling him to turn on the television because “America is under attack.” When my father turned on the television the second plane was only seconds away from flying into the South Tower. My father’s jaw just dropped as he gaped at the television in awe of what he saw.

That day I was kept home from school to be with my family and I remember praying and just watching the news for more information. I knew something was wrong because that night while eating at a restaurant, all I could hear was the chatter of the news at every table, discussing and arguing over what happened.

The TV showed people running from all corners of New York’s financial district, covered in white dust and some with face masks on; while this was happening, the New York Fire Department raced the other way to fight the fires and help rescue people still trapped in the mass.

In fact, my father had just come back from Montreal, Quebec, Canada, the month before and stayed at a hotel near the site of the World Trade Center on his way back to California. Nearly three months after the terrorist attack, my father had to go back to New York on business. He said Lower Manhattan did not look the same, the ground where they stood was void, empty without them.

One day out of curiosity, I asked my brother about 9/11 and he replied with, “what’s 9/11?” Immediately, I was frustrated because I had experienced the tragedy from my house on the screen that day. I don’t want people to forget about 9/11 and I especially don’t want my brother’s generation to go through life oblivious of this point in history and have no personal effect on their lives.

9/11 changed us as a country because we are no longer naive in the sense of security for our country, and we have made more improvements to protect our land we call home. Over 2,500 people were lost that day, innocent lives were taken, we, as a country should never forget 9/11 because of the historical mark it has made on us.

All around the country people were in a state of shock but at the same time, no matter the gender, race or beliefs, we seemed to come together as one nation and help support those who were suffering from the aftermath. Even through one of the hardest times as a nation we stayed together and sought through it.

Like many events around the country today, the eleventh annual California Memorial 9/11 observance will be held at Schneider Electric (Formerly Pelco) at 8:30 a.m. The ceremony will include a wreath placement, a 21 gun solute, a flyover and more. The Fresno Veterans Affairs (VA) Hospital will also be hosting a remembrance memorial and unveiling the “Heroes Showcase” at 10 a.m.

As the primary elections are on their way, both presidential candidates, Mitt Romney and Barack Obama, will not be airing any political commercials on TV, in honor of 9/11.

For more opinions, read the Sept. 10 article, USC film school develops senior’s passion.