Local event continues tradition, unifies community (VIDEO)

Racing against the crack of dawn, hot air balloonists set up their balloons while competing to see who can be the first to lift off for the 38th Annual ClovisFest, Sept. 15-16. Every year the ClovisFest attracts more than 100,000 visitors to Old Town Clovis, where the public can find various fair food, games for children and booths with items available for purchase.

Over 200 commercial and local vendors attended this event sponsored by the Clovis Chamber of Commerce. Many vendors woke up at 5 a.m. to claim their allotted spot, while some waited until 7 a.m..

Both mornings started off at the Clovis Rodeo Grounds at 6 a.m. which allowed spectators to watch the balloon set up. While the balloonists prepare to lift off, a cinnamon roll booth is opened to those who want to eat something sweet to start their day off.

The hot air balloons start preparing at 6:15 a.m. with a take off scheduled for 7 a.m, but this year the last balloon to lift off was about 7:30 a.m. There was also one balloon that could never get off the ground. Magic Eleven hot air balloon struggled for an hour and around 8 a.m., they decided to call an end to their not-so-triumphant lift off.

After the balloons sailed into the air, the general public migrated across the street to Old Town Clovis, where vendors filled space on both sides of Pollasky St. between 3rd and 7th St.

From old fashion candy to crafted art and lots more was being sold at ClovisFest. But, both local and commercial vendors suffered from the economy because their was less people who attended the event this year, according to Marvin Wilson, Crew Chief of air balloon and board member of the Clovis Chamber of Commerce.

“There aren’t very many people here this year because of the economy, people have only so much money to spend and most dont want to spend it at the ClovisFest,” Wilson said. “They would rather spend wisely in other areas.”

Throughout the day, entertainment was provided by various radio stations, and for children a reenactment of a child version of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) was provided that had kids laughing. There was another section that provided an mini amusement park for children 12 and under.

Of all 200 plus vendors a particuar vendor had many poeple stopping at his tent. Vendor, Gary Clausen, who is a gourd grower, makes and designs different decorations onto full grown gourds into caricature pumpkin laterns, hats and other ornaments for the house.

For those who don’t know what gourds are, it is a vegetable that is grown for about a couple of months (depending on the size) and set in the sun to dry up and become hallow on the inside.

“I have been designing and making festive gourds for about 12 years,” Clausen said. “The gourds keep me busy and it is one of my hobbys.”

ClovisFest provided a large selction of food, from fresh grown locally to the corndogs and tri-tip sandwiches that are normally seen at fairs.

ClovisFest is a tradition and an icon; ClovisFest administers expect to generate more people next year, and hope there will be more balloons.

For more information contact the Clovis Chamber of Commerce at 559.299.7363 or visit their website.

For more features, read the Sept. 14 article, FC promotes new connections, fellowship (VIDEO).

Seniors Juan Ruelas and Stephan Melendez spent an hour with the balloonists while they set up and flew their balloons. The video below shows what happens in the early hours of ClovisFest.