BRIEF: SYATP gathers FC community in prayer

Students across the nation will gather to pray for their peers, families, schools, cities, country and world at the annual See You at the Pole (SYATP) event at 7 a.m., Sept. 26. This event will be held in the Ground Zero quad area.

Ashley Garcia, ’15, will be attending SYATP for the first time this year. Garcia came to FC second semester of the ’11-’12 school year, so she missed this event. She recently became educated on what SYATP really is.

“This will be my first time attending this event,” Garcia said. “I had no idea what it was until a couple days ago. I’m excited to go because our country could really use the the prayer. I hope there’s a good turnout at this event.”

Along with the time of prayer, the student body will join in singing worship songs, led by senior Nathan Bender. According to Bender, he has been a part of SYATP since the Clovis Unified System started it in seventh grade.

“Mr. Foshee asked me to lead worship at SYATP,” Bender said. “I’ve been a part of SYATP ever since I was available to do it at public school, but we didn’t start until seventh grade. But since then, I’ve been a part in every one, leading worship.”

While Bender is appreciative of the opportunity to lead worship, he also enjoys the significance the event holds for the whole student body.

“It’s a good time to get together and bond with everyone,” Bender said. “You don’t really understand the impact of everyone getting together until you see everyone holding hands, singing and praying.”

Bible teacher and Student Leadership adviser Robert Foshee assists in organizing the event and believes SYATP unifies the whole school, also giving public schools the chance to publicly pray.

“I help organize this event by finding someone to lead it, like Nathan Bender,” Foshee said. “I think this event unifies us as a school. It’s great that schools all over the country are able to do this because they usually aren’t able to openly pray.”

If you have any questions, please contact Robert Foshee.

For more news, read the Sept. 24 article, BRIEF: Campus continues community blood drive.