Former astronaut overcomes obstacles, achieves goal

Many people dream of being an astronaut against the odds they are faced with. Former astronaut Jose Hernandez was born in French Camp, California, Aug. 7, 1962 . He studied at University of the Pacific, where he received his Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering in 1984.

Two years later, he received an M.S. in Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of California, Santa Barabara, in 1986. Raised by a family of migrant farm workers he traveled up and down California and Mexico picking crops. Due to lack of stability Hernandez did not learn English until 12 years old.

Although he was always interested in math and science, Hernandez’s interest took flight when he saw astronaut Eugene Cernan on the moon and when native Costa Rican Franklin Chang-Diaz was chosen, making him the first Hispanic to fly in to space.

“What got me interested in being an astronaut was when I was nine years old and I watched the very last Apollo mission on TV,” Hernandez said. “I came outside and saw the moon outside; went back inside and saw the astronaut Eugene Cernan walking on the moon, talking to mission control Houston bouncing like a bunny rabbit, because it’s one sixth the gravity. I remember saying that’s what I want to do.”

In 2001, Hernandez joined the Houston Space Center located in Houston, Texas. He took the role of the Engineering Directorate’s liaison and helped conduct basic engineering and general mechanics to define material behavior. In 2006, Hernandez completed Astronaut Candidate Training, where he trained as Mission Control Capsule Communicator and was assigned to the Astronaut Office Shuttle Branch.

Hernandez opens up about his journey to acheiving his dream with determination and diligence. Though he faced many obstacles he still followed his dream.

“It was alot of hard work,” Hernandez said. “I knew that I had to go to college, so I became an engineer. I had to have a technical career, so I got into electrical engineering. I went to University of the Pacific and graduated there. After that, I went to UC Santa Barbara for graduate school. Then I started working at Lawrence Livermore National Labratory where I worked for 14 years. I figured I’d get experience, and apply to NASA while I was there. I didn’t realize that it would take me 12 tries. But it took me 12 tries before I was selected.”

With all the glory and fame achieved by becoming an astronaut, Hernandez decides to use it for the good of others. He hopes that people will look to him as a model of hard work and dedication.

“I like that, being an astronaut, I can also be a role model to kids; especially Latino youth because they see someone that is just like them,” Hernandez said. “I came from humble beginnings, so I like to tell my story that kids these days should not use the fact that they don’t have any resources as an excuse not to go to school. You’ve got to work hard; if you are willing to work hard and go to school, you are able to get out of your situation.”

Although benefiting others there are also some downsides to his particular career, such as excessive travel and lack of family time. Henandez also shares his personal and professional proudest moments.

“What I dislike is sometimes you do a lot of traveling and you’re away from your family,” Hernandez said. “My personal proudest moment is my five kids, ages 9-18. Professionaly, my proudest moment is not being an astronaut; it’s working at Lawrence Livermoore Lab, helping create and develop the first full field digital mamography system for the early detection of breast cancer.”

Hernandez provides his personal advice on reaching your dreams against adversary. He hopes to inspire others to reach their dreams through even the toughest troubles.

“The advice that I have is that you kids can’t give up,” Hernandez said. “They have to follow the recipe of my parents, which was defined by what you want to be in life. Recognize how far you are from there, draw yourself a road map and get yourself an education.”

For more information about Hernandez, go to Space.com and watch a VIDEO as he briefly explains his rise from growing up in a migrant farm working family to becoming an astronaut.

For more features, read the Nov. 5 article, Proposition 30 aims to raise educational funds.