Students given opportunity to gain art scholarships

Every year, students are given the opportunity of earning an Art Scholarship during the annual Veterans Fine Art Fall Show, Nov. 1-12.

The Clovis Art Guild, with the assistance of Central Valley Comminity Bank and Allards Art Supply , will allow two students to enter in the art show. Sophomore Shannon Martens and senior Ashley Erickson were the two students chosen by art and home economics teacher Sharon Scharf.

Martens recently discovered her interest in art and enjoys it as her hobby.

“I’m excited to get my name out there because art is kind of a new thing for me as of last year,” Martens said. “It’ll be cool to do something like this.”

Erickson has grown up with art being her passion and has entered in many art shows in the past.

“I’m really excited I’m hopeful about getting a scholarship because college is coming up and it would be really nice to get my name out there as far as art goes,” Erickson said. “If I could sell some of my art by the end of high school, that would be a really big milestone for me. Art is probably going to stay a hobby as a way for me to de-stress although I really enjoy it.”

Art and home economics teacher Sharon Scharf chose the students who would participate in the Art Show. In previous years, the art show has been exclusive to Clovis Unified Schools but due to consistent questioning by Sharf, FC has been allowed to enter.

“This year they finally decided to let our students enter, so I can have two students enter and I ‘m just looking for quality work that will represent our school well,” Sharf said. “I pick things that were at the fair because it’s kind of hard to crank a piece of art in a short period of time. I chose Shannon Martens and Ashley Erickson’s work because they both showed alot of creativity and dedication to the art field.

Each student is permitted to present up to three pieces of art. All art must be framed and labeled in order to be put on display.

After the Veterans show, the art will be put on display at the Central Valley Community Bank until Dec. 12. Awards will be announced and presented around 5:00-8:00 p.m during the Artist Reception, Wed. Nov. 7, 2012.

Central Valley Community Bank is anticipated to bring in $400 and Allards Art Supply is anticipated to bring $25 gift certificates. Each student that participates will receive a free student membership to the Clovis Art Guild, permitting them to to attend any and all art demonstrations at the general meetings, free.

For more information, contact scholarship liaison Gene Butler at 559.275.4304. For more news, read the Oct. 11 article, Homecoming festival scheduled, court nominated.