Traditional Italian restaurant amazes with portions

Have you ever eaten a pasta stuffed with fungi? Most would say no, but I have the opportunity to eat a pasta most patrons would not even consider edible. Located in the historic Tower District lies Fresno’s best kept secret, Oggi Cosi Si Mangia, which translates in to English, “This is how to eat today.” The trattoria serves old school Italian cuisine that has been passed down from generations giving the food a distinctive taste.

With no advertising, only relying on word of mouth, Oggi Cosi Si Mangia manages to keep steady in the top ten places to eat in Fresno. Established in 2008, the eatery has made a name for itself. Louigi {last name witheld}, the owner, is a culinary veteran, he has been in the restaurant business since the late 1960s, from Los Angeles to Las Vegas.

According to Louigi, Oggi Cosi Si Mangia opened because of his passion and rich experience in the restaurant business. His knowledge for Italian cuisine has helped many patrons understand the quality of Italian food, leaving them with the desire to return for more.

Upon arriving, the restaurants exterior looked shabby and old, but when I entered through the large wooden doors my opinion rapidly changed. The atmosphere inside rendered a south eastern Italian villa; the bulging rocks piled high helped create a fireplace that made me feel cozy and comfortable.

Once seated, the waiter gave my family menus and offered my parents some house wine, which they kindly obliged. The menu was filled with fancy italic letters with all entrees in Italian. After five minutes of deciding, we ordered the Oggi Pizza as an appetizer to hold our raging stomachs until the food arrived.

After scrutinizing each entree, I decided to order the fettucini alfredo con funghi, my father order spaghetti and meatballs, my mother order the eggplant parmigiana and my brother ordered the lasagna. Although I noticed that there were not some of the most common Italian dishes on the menu like a calazone, if they have the ingredients in the back kitchen they are always more than happy to make any special request.

Within ten minutes of ordering, the Oggi pizza was out. Hot from the brick oven, the pizza was brightly decorated with a green spring spinach mix, baked mozzarella cheese, layered with mushrooms, tomato sauce and on top was balsamic vinaigrette drizzled on the pizza.

The pizza was out of this world; the crust was a little flimsy towards the center, but the outside was crisp and crunchy. The vinaigrette had a overpowering poignant aroma that was complimented by the baked cheese.

Within minutes of eating the pizza, the entrees were ready and the smell of the spices mixing together made my mouth water so I could sink my teeth into something juicy. Twirling my fork into the thick fettucini layered with mushrooms (the fungi I referred to earlier) topped with golden brown encrusted parmesan chicken, reminded me of the animated movie ratatouille. The strong flavor of mushroom puree and julienned garlic were mixed smoothly into the creamy alfredo to create a sauce not all taste buds will enjoy but only the ones that appreciate true italian cuisine.

As for the rest of my family, they enjoyed every ounce of the food. In fact, every one of us took a doggy bag home because the servings were enough for almost two people. I would recommend sharing a dish between more than one person. The portion control, well, there is no portion control, the restaurants goal is to make sure no one leaves hungry.

I plan to return very soon, but maybe just by myself. The total cost to eat at Oggi Cosi Si Mangia for a family of four is about $117.70. Although the the plates maybe pricey, the quality and the quantity of the food makes up the difference. Oggi Cosi Si Mangia has my stamp of approval for my top favorites.

For more information Oggi Cosi Si Mangia is located 1110 N. Van Ness Ave Fresno, CA 93728-3432 or call them at 559.445.1957.

For more reviews, read the Sept. 18 article Cracked Pepper impresses with delicate entrees, appetizer.