Voters look towards presidential debates for clarity

As Nov. 6 approaches, the 2012 Presidential election is only a month away. This means that presidential candidates: President Barack Obama and former Governor Mitt Romney, are doing all they can to win undecided voters.

What many of these undecided voters are looking for is clarity; they want to know the facts beyond partisan bias. They are looking to see which candidate has the best plans and policies for leading our nation to a better future.

However, while political speeches stir up and electrify party bases, they do not fully convince undecided voters in their messages. A majority of undecided voters are looking toward the debates to gain confidence in one candidate or the other.

While they are not the deciding factors in picking presidents, debates historically speaking do carry a great influence on campaigns. The debates separate and publicize the candidates, one from the other.

Factors such as body language, appearance and confidence are all a part of the candidates outlook of which many voters take into consideration. Nevertheless, the heart of the debates is in the arguments themselves, and which serve as the best way to educate voters.

So far, there has been one presidential debate between Romney and Obama in Denver, CO, Oct. 3. In that debate Romney came off aggressively against a timid President Obama.

Since then, many of the recent polls have changed in Romney?s favor, which they had long been more favorable to the President beforehand. However, both candidates left many potential voters wanting more in specifics rather than general and somewhat vague statements.

Even political commentator Bill O?Reilly and comedian John Stewart had a debate last weekend called “The Rumble in the Air-Conditioned Auditorium” with half of the profits being donated to various charities.

The next debate is between Vice President Joseph Biden and vice presidential candidate Congressman Paul Ryan, Oct. 11. It will be held at Centre College in Danville, KS, with topics being focused on both foreign and domestic policies. Following that debate, there will be two more presidential debates held in New York and Florida, Oct. 16 and 22.

For more opinions, read the Oct. 8 article, Dyslexic junior follows passion, learns tricks for reading.

For a slideshow of the first 2012 Presidential Debate, the University of Denver provides this link as part of their media kit.