Fair food leaves senior full, includes multiple meals (VIDEO)

The fair only happens once a year, during this time most people attend just for the outrageously expensive disproportionate food. My journalism advier Greg Stobbe, Editor-in-Chief Tynin Fries, Head videographer Juan Ruelas, Photo Editor Ryan King and I decided to take a trip to The Big Fresno Fair to cover the Chalk Drawing contest and experience the different aspects of the fair.

The first place we stopped was a cinnamon roll shack; the only type desert that I despise greatly. I find the burnt brown rectangular pieces of bread disgusting. The worst part is the cold clumpy cream cheese that is blobbed right on top. I just don’t understand why people are so crazy about them. Shockingly, Country Best Cinnamon Rolls was okay, but not something I would look forward to eating at the fair. I would rate the cinnamon roll vendor a 1 out of 5, but one good thing I can say is they have good milk.

After taking a group photo, Stobbe and I decided to share a hot dog. Not just any hot dog, a bacon wrapped hot dog smothered with beans, sauteed onions, jalapenos and secret brown sauce topped with mayonnaise and mustard. Inquiring on on the secret sauce the owner informed me it was a family recipe.

Within minutes, I knew that was too much for my stomach to handle, and, well, the rest is history. But that was a delectable hot dog, a hot dog tradition based in South Mexico.

Strolling through the food court area, I noticed there was one booth that attracted quite a few people, La Taqueria, the taco shop. Established in the early 1900s this taco shop has been a fair favorite among many visitors for many years and counting.

With spending a great amount time eating and cooking in the kitchen, I can can easily tell the difference between quality ethnic food and store bought food presented as authentic food. With doubt in the beginning, I can truly say I if were to return to the fair I would absolutely stop at La Taqueria and have a taco or two.

The food is Tj, which means there are two small corn tortillas stuck together, filled with meat; on the side is a condiment bar filled with jalapenos, onions, cilantro and salsa.

Not even thirty minutes after chowing down on a couple of tacos, Fries decided to eat a block of curly fires. Talk about a heart attack, it was literally in the shape of a block fresh from the deep fryer. Although I am a big guy I can only eat so much, so I decided to share my artery clogging meal with everyone in the group. The block of fries were the most popular next to the giant jumbo corn dog. The fries still hot, were golden brown and crispy, but dripping with oil.

Honestly, I don’t ever think I have stuffed my face with so much food, That day I drank three three XXL lemonades to quench my thirst, but I still wasn’t satisfied. After eating twice of the capacity my stomach can handle, more food was still yet to be eaten.

Lastly, towards the end of the trip, we all agreed to eat something sweet before we had to return to school. Stopping at the awkwardly shaped ice cream cone shop, I ordered a frozen banana dipped in dark chocolate with nuts added on top. This is my absolute favorite desert to eat at the fair, mainly because when its hot outside it help me stay cool.

Attending The Big Fresno Fair this year was really exciting. Having not been there for over three years, it was great to see the different vendors this year and sad to see some not return. Overall, I plan to return in the future, but not as likely to eat as much.

For more information on how campus students participated in the fair, read the Oct. 10 article, Chalk-drawing competition creates memories, opportunities. For more reviews, read the Oct. 12 article Justin Bieber entertains with choreography, lighting .