Free speech forum challenges preconceptions

Open-ended questions concerning philosophy, politics, world news and theology are debated in room 623. In a school lacking a formal debate or speech class, a forum has been created to air the student voice. This free speech forum meets every first and third Wed. during lunch.

“This forum was created when a few students approached me with a desire to discuss issues and to learn how to think critically and speak effectively,” Julie McEntee, forum adviser, said. “It is open to anyone who wants to come but good discussions will be depenant upon a variety of people willilng to share diverse opinions.”

This is an opportunity for students to interact with their peers as they share and develop their personal ideas. McEntee said that critical listening will be as important as convincing speech.

“I think it’s healthy for students to argue in an orderly fashion and to be able to share their opinions,” Gary Schultz, principal, said. “But students will have to learn how to listen to other people’s comments and in doing so they will learn how to be open-minded.”

In the future, McEntee hopes the forum will become a student-led assembly. She said it was a way for students to utilize their leadership skills. The free speech forum will gradually expand depending on the interest level.

“For the forum to flourish, it takes active participation among students and interest in it,” Alec Kneefel, ’05, said.

The next two meetings will be Feb. 5 and 24 during lunch in 623. For more information on the free speech forum, parents and students can contact McEntee at 297-9464 ext. 134. McEntee is the wife of English teacher Tom McEntee.