BRIEF: Volleyball intramurals cancelled

Since the varsity football team will trave to Watsonville high school to play the Watsonville Wildcatz, Student Leadership has organized a beach trip for the high school student body, Oct. 19. The Beach Trip will start at Sunset Beach and then students will be transported to the Wildcatz football field.

Students can not sign up for the Beach Trip anymore, but if a student did not turn in their permission slip to the office their spot will be given away to someone on the waiting list. The cost of the Beach Trip was $40 until, Sept. 28, between, Oct. 1-12, the price increased to $45 and through, Oct.15-18, the price increased to $50. The cost of the Beach Trip includes the bus ride, to Sunset Beach and back, snacks, while on the bus and the entrance fee for the game.

Before the Beach Trip, students are invited to bring their grandparents for the annual Grandparents Day, which will be held the same day. Grandparents will start to come during second period, 9:30 a.m., and will shadow their grandchild in their classes until fourth period. A special lunch will follow where grandparents will eat with their grandchild and leave. After this, students who signed up for the Beach Trip will leave at 12:30 p.m., on a bus heading to Sunset Beach.

If a student did not sign up for the Beach Trip they will stay until Grandparents Day is over after lunch and will continue their schedule of classes. After lunch instead of having seventh period, students will head to their fifth period class, then skip sixth period and attend their seventh and eighth period classes.

Volleyball intramurals were to be held throughout the week, leading up to the beach trip with the championship game to be held on the beach. However, due to the lack of participation the intramurals were cancelled. Kristen Rosenthal, ’13, organized the event and was disappointed to see it come to an end.

“It’s sad that the intramurals didn’t work out,” Rosenthal said. “But, I understand why a lot of people didn’t sign up. People are just too busy especially because it’s the week before Homecoming. Also, not everyone got the opportunity to sign up for the beach so they couldn’t sign up for the game because the championship was going to be held on the beach.”

Varsity football player Bobby Christopher, ’14, likes the feeling that many of his peer will be watching him during an away game.

“I’m excited because it’s going to be fun with all the students being their supporting us,” Christopher said. “Even though it’s three hours away.”

Sophomore Kim Ward, member of varsity cheer team, is excited to see so many students come to the game. Ward says that the game will feel more like a home game rather than an away game.

“I think the bus ride over to the Beach Trip will be a lot of fun and will be bonding experience of the school,” Ward said. “The game will feel more like a home game rather than an away game because such a large number of the high school will be attending.”

Some students like Junior Aliciana Quintana did not want to attend the Beach Trip because they felt the cost was too much.

“I wanted to sign up for the Beach Trip, but it cost too much and I really didn’t want to pay that amount of money to go,” said Quintana. “Maybe if they lowered the cost I would go next year.”

Sophomore Collin Winegarden agrees with Quintana, but is will to go on the Beach Trip.

“I thought the price was kind of expensive, but it’s worth going to the beach,” Winegarden said. “I wanted to go to the Beach Trip to hang out with friends, but mostly get out of school.”

For directions to Capitola Beach to the football game visit Google Maps, or check out the map below.

For more news, read the Oct. 18 article, Baby Drive brings in donations, support.

View Larger Map

For more news, check out ‘Prayer Box’ project provides support for student body.