Beach trip provides bonding, energized fans (VIDEO)

Instead of the usual Friday night football game, the FC high school made their way to Watsonville, where the football team faced the Watsonville Wildcatz, Oct. 19. Two busses were loaded with football players and cheerleaders on one bus and student fans on the other.

The busses left campus around 12:40 p.m. and arrived back at school around 1:40 a.m, Oct. 20. Despite about a three hour drive, the school took a rest stop at Casa de Fruta, located in Hollister, CA, before reaching their final destination at Watsonville High School.

Though the purpose of the trip was split between supporting the football team and a school beach trip, the football players were not allowed to go to the beach and were therefore dropped off at the school while the students went to Sunset Beach.

Senior Student Leadership member Nick Baladjanian believes that the trip went as the leadership class planned and enjoyed the day overall. Along with appreciating the time spent with friends, Baladjanian also thought that the support group for the football team was inspiring to see.

“My favorite part about the beach trip was getting to hang out with friends and going to the beach,” Baladjanian said. “I think it went pretty well actually because it seemed like everyone was having a good time and that was the whole point of leadership trying to get everyone up there and involved. I guess I could say it was moving in a sense to see everyone get involved and go to support the football team.”

Upon arriving at the beach, students were given two hours to eat wherever they chose, walk around to different stores and hang out on the beach. While some decided to shop in different stores, others walked along the beach, played volleyball and ultimate frisbee and enjoyed socializing with friends.

According to Physical Education teacher Michael Ogden, the time on the beach was spent well and provided entertaining opportunities.

“My favorite part was hanging out on the beach with all the students,” Ogden said. “I thoroughly enjoyed taking jumping pictures with Gabby [Siqueiros, ’15], Ashley [Garcia, ’15], Mackenzie [Devereaux, ’15] and Elise [Winegarden, ’15].”

Sophomore Jordan Castro did a variety of activities with his friends and found the trip to be an energizer for the fan section, as well as the football players.

“I got to hang out on the beach with Coach Ogden and with all of my friends for two hours,” Castro said. “We played volleyball, football, I swam in the ocean and we threw the frisbee around; we could do any beach sport imaginable. I think going as a whole school made us really pumped up for the game and I saw our guys playing way harder than they have in the past weeks.”

At around 6:15 p.m., students re-loaded the busses and made their way back to the school. The students filled in some of the bleachers and bundled up to stay warm for the football game, which began at 7:30 p.m..

Although the score was 0-0 during the first seven minutes, the Wildcatz began to take the lead during mid-first quarter. As the first half came to a close, senior Brandon McCormick scored, setting the score at 37-7. Despite the Eagles putting some points on the board, by the time the first half ended, many FC players were injured and the game was eventually called off.

Despite the Eagles having to forfeit their game, senior Ashlyn Key felt that the bus ride there and back provided an opportunity for people to grow closer to one another.

“My favorite part was the bus ride because you’re kind of stuck with people, so you have to talk with them and be with them,” Key said. “As a whole school, it was really fun because you got to hang out with the freshmen, sophomore and juniors, and again, you’re forced to sit around them on the bus and in the bleachers and hang out in groups on the beach. It’s forcing you to be with the people around you and makes you more close as a whole.”

The beach trip allowed people to enjoy the day with friends, along with spending time as a school. Though the time spent on the beach was not a long time-span, Ogden believes the fellowship of the event was a highlight.

“Overall, I think it was a huge success, despite the short window of time at the beach and result of the football game,” Ogden said. “Students really enjoyed the bus ride, the food, the beach and the game despite the circumstances.”

Ogden feels that the student sections, the Nuthouse, was great to encourage the team. He thinks students should be taken to as many away games as possible.

“If possible, I think we should offer rooter busses for as many away games as possible,” Ogden said. “The camaraderie, school spirit and cheering were evident simply because so many students attended the beach trip. There is power in number indeed!”

For more features, read the Oct. 19 article, Lecture series highlights Gloria Steinem (VIDEO).