Seniors assemble final float, two-day time span

Regardless of placing last place in the annual Homecoming float competition for the past three years, the senior class plans to construct their float within a two-day time span, using new techniques for their final homecoming, Oct. 26.

Last year, the class of 2013 built a float depicting the game of chess, and this year, the class will assemble a float based off the Dreamworks production of Shrek, which follows the theme, “Once Upon a Homecoming.”

Though the class built their previous float at senior Juan Ruelas’ home, this year, the seniors met at student leadership member Nick Baladjanian’s home, where the class worked for two days to design and paint their float, Oct. 19 & 20.

Participating in float building for all four years of high school, senior Katie Barisic is enthusiastic about the senior float, despite the rushed effort.

“Though getting it done in two days was a little bit of a rush, having to finish it within that time period, I’m really excited about the float and am proud that we got most of it done the first day of working on it,” Barisic said.

Although only about eight to nine people showed up to work on the float, Barisic believes the small numbers allowed the class to be more efficient and that the group did well to pull off their work.

“I’m glad not a ton of people showed up because I think then we would’t have gotten a lot done,” Barisic said. “Having a good group of productive really got together and it looks good. I don’t think we’ll get last this year, at the very least second, but we’re going for first and I have faith in us.”

According to fellow classmate Brandon Porter, he thinks that the senior’s float is the best one they have produced throughout their high school years. While the goal is to ultimately win the competition, Porter says that the senior’s overall presentation will be an improvement of previous years.

“I think it’s going really well,” Porter said. “It looks really cool and I think it’s the best float our class has made over the last four years. I hope it’s good enough to win but I definitely know it’s the best one we’ve made because I know we have put a lot more effort into making it more creative and 3D, and that we are going to have more people involved in being on the float, instead of just two or three people.”

For more news, read the Oct. 19 article, Baby Drive brings in donations, support.