Girls' basketball rebounds to lead WSL

The lights dim and the crowd watches the team’s every step as they run out to the center court. With the boys’ sports teams not playing up to the preseason expectations, it is the girls’ turn to take the spot light after a slow start.

The girls’ varsity basketball team believes they will capture the West Sierra League and are ready to let campus know they are serious athletes.

The girls’ have launched their season with winning all their games except for one versus Riverdale. They are 12 and 7 in the W.S.L, but that does not mean that they are letting up. They have the last half of league left to go and do not plan on coasting.

“I would say that the best thing about our team is how close we all are and how much fun we have together,” Tricia Hill, ’03, said, “I think we will go onto to playoffs and at least make it to the second round.”

Despite the fact that last year the team lost three seniors, the team has rebounded from a slow start. Now, with the returning senior starters such as Carli Albrechtson, Jennifer Smit and Hill, the team is confidently headed for the playoffs.

“I think our biggest asset is our team unity,” Tara Thompson, ’04, said. “We all get along really well together and we fire each other up which helps us play a lot better.”

Early season poor defensive play has rebounded (see Girls’ basketball struggles defensively, Dec. ’02) with an upbeat intensity and team unity.

“The best thing about our team is when we get pumped up because we become unstoppable,” Kristy Howard, ’04, said. “My vision for the season is to make it into the championship game in the playoffs.”

Every year the team is different. The players are unique the talent is diverse and the coaching techniques are based on the team.

“I am very pleased with where we are at defensively,” head coach Dan Avila said. “We have improved a lot and are almost at the point that I want us to be at. This years’ team is different from the beginning of the season because our offense is playing with passion; we have also picked up our defensive play. With Smit and the help of our guards, it has helped us become a better offensive team, and our bench has provided strong support.”

The girls’ home games take place on Tuesdays and Fridays and begin at 6 p.m. The next home game is Feb. 11 against Riverdale.