Senior overcomes physical disability, fights through pain

Since she was four years old, senior Maddie Yee has played soccer, exhibiting her competitive nature and love for the sport. For the majority of her experience with the sport, she had no difficulty playing, even with guys on her church league co-ed team.

However for Yee, during her freshman year, she discovered that she had an incurable knee condition. Remembering her first experience of the pain she felt from her knees, Yee recalls when she was unable to walk due to the pain.

“My knees had been bothering me, but I didn’t really know why,” Yee said. “After one of my soccer games at FC, I came off the field to sit on the bench because I was in so much pain it hurt to walk. I remember my friend Ashley Erickson’s dad (John Erickson) giving me a piggy back ride to my car because I couldn’t walk at all. It was probably the worst pain I’ve ever experienced.”

Yee found out that she has Patella Alta (PA), meaning her patella (knees) are higher than a usual patella, and this condition causes her much pain when anything hits her knee. She was also told that she had developed Osgood-Schlatters Disease (OSD), a chronic condition giving her a bump on her left knee that swells up when she runs hard on it. Between PA and OSD, Yee says that she experiences daily soreness and irritation.

“It wasn’t so much damage that they have caused, but just irritation that built up,” Yee said. “My bones have always been built like this, but the problems started to come out more as I got older. My knees are always sore, but during soccer they really hurt.”

The conditions hinder Yee from multiple activities, including squatting down on her knee and doing lunges. But the main way she has noticed them hindering her in some way is how they interfere with her endurance level, especially on activities involving running.

“I am able to run hard, but only for short amounts of time,” Yee said. “Usually I just try to push through the pain, but I’ve had to learn to take myself out of practice or games in order to let my knees rest. I can do a variety of activities, but I’m limited in the amount of time I do something before my knees actually start hurting.”

Because of the way it inhibits her endurance, Yee admits that she has had to learn how to pace herself and accept the times when she cannot complete activities.

“Sometimes I get frustrated when I’m not tired in my core, but my knees are hurting,” Yee said. “I like running three miles when I go to the gym, but sometimes my knees start hurting into the second mile, so I can’t finish. I hate not finishing something when I start it, so that can be a little discouraging sometimes.”

Yee says that while PA and OSD are both incurable, there is no damage that would have been prevented had she discovered the conditions earlier. With that knowledge, she might have been able to exercise key muscles that have great influence on her knees. Aside from that, though, she would not have been able to improve her condition even if she had known.

“I probably would have just been able to strengthen the necessary muscles to help me have more stabilized knees,” Yee said. “I actually went to physical therapy for a little while after I found out about my problem and while I was there, they gave me exercises to strengthen my core and leg muscles, which relate to my knees. Other than just being careful of what I do and taking Ibuprofen when my knees are inflamed, icing every night is about the only thing that helps sooth my knees.”

Janine Yee, Maddie’s mom, has enjoyed watching her daughter give her all in her sport and improve her skills by playing for FC. However, she does have a hard time as a parent seeing Maddie when the game is frustrating and painful, especially because of her knee problems.

“It’s hard at times to see her physical pain during and after games,” Janine said. “She commits herself 110% out there, then sometimes pays for it afterward.”

Knowing that Yee is a small player, Janine is proud of Maddie for her effort on the field despite her size, but has a hard time watching her fight for the ball and for her position against players much larger than her.

“It’s hard when Maddie goes up against players who are one and a half times her size,” Janine said. “She’s not afraid of the battle, but sometimes loses them. Her sophomore year she ended up in the ER when we thought she dislocated her shoulder.”

For the last couple of years, Yee has experienced great success in soccer at FC despite her knee problems. She was voted a team captain for the ’11-’12 and ’12-’13 seasons, was named team MVP, made First Team All-League for the West Sequoia League for the ’11-’12 season and made the All-Tournament Team for the 2012 Fowler Lions Tournament.

Janine was fully aware of her daughter’s skill and capability in soccer, but she was pleasantly surprised every time Yee received another honor for her ability, leadership, commitment and heart.

“We are humbled and thankful to the Lord for any measure of success she has experienced,” Janine said. “One example is that she received the MVP award last year. Although she had worked hard all season, she did not expect such an honor, knowing that many of her teammates were also deserving. We were very happy for her.”

Head varsity girls soccer coach Tony Martinez appreciates the effort and skill Yee contributes to the team, despite the physical struggles she faces. Yee was selected by the team to be a captain, and Martinez recognizes the natural-born leadership that played a big role in her position.

“I am so glad to be able to coach Maddie,” Martinez said. “She is the type of player every coach wants on their team. She leads by example and is always encouraging her teammates, never has a bad thing to say about any of them.”

Martinez has high hopes for Maddie based on the success she has experienced in past seasons and is excited to see where her heart, skill and effort takes her this season.

“I hope to see Maddie repeat the season she had last year,” Martinez said. “She was the team MVP of our team and first team all-league. She is on the right track this season with being named to the All Tournament team for the Fowler High School tournament. Overall, she is one of the best players I have coached in a long time.”

Despite her conditions, Yee is optimistic about the abilities that she does have to participate in her athletics. She says that she often feels like complaining, but has to choose to remain positive because she feels that she has much to be thankful for.

“Complaining can definitely rise when my knees are hurting”, Yee said. “But I am able to do a lot of things that involve running, so I really should have no excuse to complain. God reminds me to keep a positive attitude and just be thankful for even having legs to run with.”

Yee says that her teammates have been really gracious about her condition and often make her sit down and rest if she is hurting. Although they tease her, sometimes, she knows that they have her best interest in mind and really are not mad about her knee problems.

“Some of my friends make fun of me about my bad knees, but it’s all in playful banter,” Yee said. “When they see that I’m in pain, they always ask me if I’m okay, and if I deny pain they still sense my denial. They tell the coach to take me out of the game for a break, or tell me straight up to just sit down. My teammates are very supportive of me, though, and always look out for my protection and well-being.”

Teammate Amy Savage, ’13, has noticed Maddie’s persistance and leadership ablities and admires what they add to the team as a whole. She appreciates the effort Maddie puts into the game even when her knees are hurting her and is glad to have Maddie as a team captain.

“Maddie works hard in everything she does and she does her best no matter what she’s facing,” Savage said. “She puts her heart into the soccer team and doesn’t give in to pressure or fear or pain- she works past it and doesn’t let it hold her back. After a while of running and getting knocked around, her knees pain her to the point that she has to just get out of the game and sit, yet in a couple of minutes she bounces (or limps as it may be) back out there.”

Savage realizes that as a leader, service is extremely important and she recognizes this quality in Maddie. She appreciates her authenticity wherever she goes and is glad to have an encouraging captain and teammate. Even with her opponents on the field, Savage has noticed Maddie’s heart desire to represent God well.

“Captain is a good fit for Maddie because she is a natural leader, and she is a good leader because she knows how to serve,” Savage said. “The way that she lives her life on and off the field gives the team and those outside it a good look at what a Christian is like. Maddie’s heart for God cannot be separated from the athletic side of her.”

Yee has faced discouragement as she has participated in sports that require her to run and activate the pain that her conditions cause. As she has learned to depend on God’s help with her activities, she has realized that God can use her knee problems to help her grow in her faith.

“During my sophomore year was when God really taught me to rely on Him for strength with my knee problems,” Yee said. “I ran cross-country and throughout the season, I definitely felt discouraged at times. Through Hebrews 12:11-13, God reminded me that just as the process of strengthening my knees can be painful and takes time, so will my walk with the Lord. I will face circumstances that will challenge me but ultimately draw me closer to Christ.”

Yee has also found inspiration from her parents and friends, all of whom are willing to openly tell her that she needs to stop. She appreciates the support they have shown and the encouragement they have given when she has needed it.

“Both of my parents are always very supportive of me,” Maddie said. “They are always looking out for what is healthy and best for me, so sometimes they just remind me that if I’m in pain, then I probably shouldn’t be doing something. I always know my friends have my back, too, and they constantly encourage me to work to the best of my ability, but also know when rest is needed.”

Janine is excited to see what her daughter does this year with the ability and strength that she has, despite her conditions. She hopes to see a repeat of last season and just an exciting year overall.

“We are looking forward to a great year as the girls continue to grow as a unified team,” Janine said. “We are looking forward to a fun, and hopefully winning season for Maddie in her final year. We just love watching her play because she loves the sport.”

Janine feels blessed and proud as a parent of Maddie and her persistence even in the face of resistance, but she realizes that sports are not all about winning. She is glad Maddie is starting to realize the same in her interactions with opponents and with her teammates.

“We are humbled and thankful to the Lord for any measure of success she has experienced,” Janine said. “We have been encouraged to see Maddie’s perseverance in spite of her physical limitations, but more than anything, we are blessed by her desire to glorify Christ in all that she does. I know that she proactively seeks to encourage others, and tries to reach out to the other team in small ways. It’s not just about sportsmanship, it’s about being a witness for the Lord.”

For more features, read the Jan. 10 article, New locked doors policy enforced, enhance student protection.