Volleyball sport shorts: Mendota

[media-credit name=”FC file photo” align=”alignright” width=”300″]DSC_0230[/media-credit]The FC Eagles hosted the Mendota High School Aztecs, Sept. 16. Despite missing one of their starters, Ivette Ibarra, ’15, the Eagles were able to come out with a win.

In the first match, the Eagles came out a little shaky due to the new rotations. However, they still managed to defeat the Aztecs, 25-19.

Coach Jonathan Penberthy, knew the new line up would be difficult to adjust to, but felt the girls did fairly well.

“I feel like the new change affected how well we could have played,” Penberthy said. “But at the same time, I thought they played really well. It was good to see Olivia Quebe get more hits on the outside and it was good to see Hannah Nale play all the way around. Overall, the team did very well.”

Sophomore Jennifer King, was one of the players that had to adapt to a new position.

“The hardest thing about adjusting to the new position was remembering the rotations,” King said. “However, I still wanted to play my hardest while accommodating to the new position.”

The Eagles felt more comfortable in the new line up during the second match. Their confidence showed as they beat Mendota, 25-13.

The third match gave all the FC players an opportunity to play during the game. The Eagles came out victorious against the Aztecs, 25-21.

Senior Breanna Jennings, was excited to have more playing time since it gave her an opportunity to improve her skills.

“Playing yesterday was so much fun because I got to contribute to the team,” Jennings said. “Also, I like having the opportunity to serve and get more points for the team.”

Even in a new position, Olivia Quebe, ’16, was able to lead the team in kills, with 12, followed by Gabriela Siqueiros, ’15, with 9.

For the next game, the Eagles will be hosting Liberty High School, Sept. 23.

Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather. This writer can be reached via Twitter: @_olivialoren_.

For more sports, read the Sept. 15 article, Volleyball sport short: Stone Ridge