Faculty redesigns letterman jackets, compliment school colors

Letterman jackets are a way for students to show their varsity sports participation and express pride for their school. Up till now, the colors featured on the jackets have been gray, white and maroon.

This year, the FC administration, along with some members of student leadership, have decided to change the appearance of the letterman jackets. The colors have been changed to match the school colors better; they will now be maroon and white.

Superintendent Debbie Siebert describes the details of the new letterman jacket, along with the new designs of letters for the athletes.

“We wanted our letterman jacket to more accurately represent our school colors,” Siebert said. “The wool has changed from grey to maroon, the ribbing on the sleeves, collar and hem will be maroon and white with black highlights and the sleeves and pockets will still be white. The basic design of the jacket remains the same. The letters that athletes earn will match the jacket. The back felt is white instead of black, with another layer of black felt on top of that. The chenille portion is maroon instead of purple and will be outlined in white stitching.”

Principal Todd Bennett decided to change the color of the letterman jackets due to some requests from the students, parents and a couple members of student leadership.

“We [the administration] had some parents and some students that asked us to reconsider our letterman jackets last year because they were not school colors,” Bennett said. “Mrs. [Debbie] Siebert, Mr. [Mick] Fuller and Chris Grossman, along with some other kids from student leadership, were also involved in the choice of this jacket.”

Grossman’s “pod” in leadership chose the colors based on personal taste, and he believes that the colors are crisper and contrast better.

“I suppose picking the jacket colors was just a matter of taste,” Grossman said. “Mr. [Todd] Bennett gave us the sample after the Fresno Christian board had narrowed down the choices. I really like the white sleeves because it’s a crisp, clean look. I also like the contrast between maroon and white rather than maroon and black. ”

Aaron DeWolf plans to buy one of the new letterman jackets because he thinks the colors and design will be more fitting to FC.

“I wanted to get the new letterman jackets because of the new color and the new design,” DeWolf said. “I like the colors better than the old ones. I think the maroon will be better than the gray for two reasons. One: the colors were beginning to get old, and two: I think maroon will stand out more, and it represents our school better, since it’s our school main school color.”

For more features, read the Dec. 6 article, Hierholzer designs costumes, dedicates time.