BRIEF: Leadership hosts canned food, warm clothes drive (VIDEO)

This year, FC is preparing for two projects. One is an all-school project to provide for people who do not have warm clothes or food. The second project is the whole school working through Book Buddies with Pinedale Elementary to provide canned foods from Dec. 3 to Dec. 12. There will be a prize for the class that provides the most items. Financial donations will also be accepted.

Student Leadership Advisor Robert Foshee explains that this year, instead of only donating coats, all types of warm clothes will be accepted. Student leadership will take them at the entrance of Ground Zero when the Christmas movie is being shown, Dec. 6.

“It isn’t a coat drive this time, it’s a warm clothes drive,” Foshee said. “For the annual Christmas movie that leadership presents, we would like to collect warm clothes instead of an entrance fee. We are partnering with People’s Church to give the clothes to various families.”

Foshee decided to commit to this project because FC does a different service project each month, and the school already has connections with Pinedale Elementary.

“Every month we have an all-school project to help the community,” Foshee said. “For example, in October we had Operation Christmas Child. This month we are doing the project ‘Together We Can’ and collecting canned food. It’s good that we can partner with Pinedale [Elementary] since we already have a connection through Book Buddies.”

Jordan Castro, ’15, wants to participate in the food drive to give the children good meals during the Christmas season.

“I originally helped pick the topic for CSF [California Scholarship Federation],” Castro said. “Then I heard that the kids in Book Buddies and their families would need food and wouldn’t have the same opportunities that we do. I felt kinda bad, and I felt like we should take some of our surplus and give it to others so that they could have healthy meals during Christmas.”

For more news, read the Nov. 27 article, BRIEF: Feather staff sells Candy Cane Grams.