Girls' soccer sport shorts: Sierra

GIRLS’ SOCCER SPORT SHORTS, 2012-13–
For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Winter sport box scores, 2012-13, for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2012-13 girls’ soccer schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com. FC is currently 0-1 in the West Sequoia League and 0-0-1 overall as of Nov. 26. The Eagles will next travel to play in the Fowler tournament Nov. 26, 27 and Dec. 1.

EAGLES PLAY SIERRA IN FIRST PRE-GAME SCRIMMAGE

For the first scrimmage of the year, the Eagles played on their home turf against the Sierra Chieftains, Nov. 26.

The visiting team lost the coin toss, so the Eagles chose to take the ball. While Sierra only had eleven players without substitutes, all 20 FC girls on the roster were present for their first pre-season game.

After starting the game, the Eagles and the Chieftains battled hard against each other to score a goal. Both teams worked hard to stay tight on defense, as no team scored until the last ten minutes of the first half.

Sophomore Brooke Poore scored the first goal of the game for Sierra after a scramble in the Eagle’s box, putting the Chieftains in the lead, 1-0. The Eagles tried to answer the Sierra’s goal with a comeback in the second half but were unable to put any goals in, thus resulting in a Chieftain victory, 1-0. Though FC lost, it will not be counted against them, due to it not being a league game.

Second-year girls varsity soccer coach Tony Martinez says that although he knows there are areas that need work, he was satisfied with the first scrimmage.

“It was the right game to start the season with,” Martinez said. “I think we did well. I think the lows would be communication and the highs would be never quitting and passing the ball well. We still need some work to do, but I was satisfied with the play of the team.”

Due the new roster of girls this season, Martinez believes they will have a successful season and looks forward to seeing the talent of the girls on the field.

“I look forward to a great season and seeing the progression of the girls play and skill,” Martinez said. “I think we have a lot of talented girls this year. The sky’s the limit with this team.”

This year, Martinez challenges some of the girls with new positions. Sophomore Ivette Ibarra is playing defensive sweeper for the first time this season and is expecting to learn a lot from her new role.

“It was scary at playing a position I’ve never played before because I’m usually an offensive player,” Ibarra said. “But I felt like our defense kind of held through a little better than I expected, but I know we still need a lot of work. What frustrated me was that our offense wasn’t talking as much and we could have made a lot more shots on goal.”

Because of the early scrimmage, Ibarra was surprised by the amount of teamwork shown on the field. Despite the loss, she was pleased with the result.

“I was actually surprised with our team though and we ended up doing a lot better than I expected, so I’m happy with that result,” Ibarra said. “I’m looking forward to being number one in league; I really want that, and I really want to go to the championship this year.”

For senior captain Brianna Walker thought the team did well even when they were behind. Although, she knows the team still needs work in some areas.

“I think we played hard and I felt like we didn’t give up,” Walker said. “I do feel like we need to work on certain positions and work together as a team, which I think by the Fowler Tournament we will come together. I also need to work on my position a little more. The first time being a captain is kind of cool just because it’s my last year and I’m a senior, so I feel like it’s a good responsibility. I hope we go all the way and win the championship.”

The Eagles will next play the Fowler Lions, who are hosting the Fowler Tournament, at both at 5:15 and 7:45 p.m., Nov. 28.

For more sports, read the Nov. 5 article, Volleyball sport shorts: Riverdale.