Get used to it: You are being watched

In today’s society, social media continues to evolve and provide new means of communication for the eveyday user, yet some would say it must be handled with caution. A poll was taken by the high school students at FC and the results provide insight on what the student’s really think.

The most popular sites are: Facebook (300 million users), Twitter (500 million users), Tumblr (150 million users), Instagram (100 million users) and Pinterest, having 25 million users. According to the December 2012 update on How Many People use the Top Social Media .

A common issue between teens and their parents concerns the amount of information they are allowing stangers to see. Many parents have taken the time to help their children set up privacy settings and the necessary precautions.

Many still admit to being concerned, especially about how their child is interacting with people they do not know. In the campus poll, 67 campus students admit to interacting online with people they do not know, while 103 say that they do not interact with people they do not know.

Seventh grader Daniel Chandler uses Instagram to communicate and interact with his friends online.

“I use Instagram everyday,” Chandler said. “I don’t really post anything; I just like to look at what is on my newsfeed. My parents haven’t shown any real interest about it and don’t really care about who I talk to.”

Another concern parents may have is the effect that their child’s social media may have on their future. In the same poll, 145 students said that they were aware future employers would view their social media sites, while 25 students said they were unaware of this fact.

When applying for jobs, some employers will search social media sites to gain a better understanding of who they are looking to hire. There is a bill undergoing the process of becoming a law that bans employers from demanding access to social media profiles, but teens are still urged to be cautious of what they post.

Some people are not aware of the fact that although something is deleted, it is never gone forever, deleted information can always be retrieved. Twenty-four students believe that once they delete something it will be gone forever and 146 students are aware that although something is deleted it can be recovered. If the direct URL is saved for someone’s posts or pictures they are able to acess it even after it has been deleted.

Although many parents share this concern, ultimately the choice lies with their children. On campus, 150 students believe that what they post online can effect their academic future and employment oppertunities, while 20 think otherwise.

In addition to helping their kids set up privacy settings and warning them to be cautious, many become involved and create their own online profiles and interact with their children. Parents use this as a way to monitor their children’s actions as well as become familiar with the evolving technology. There was 130 students that said either one or both of their parents are active online while 40 said that neither of their parents have any online sites.

Senior Lexie Ellis confirms that social media has become very resourceful and helps her in her everyday life. In the past Ellis’ parents were very protective of her online profiles but have become acustom to her everyday usage of them.

“My parents used to be extremely concerned about me having online profiles, but now it’s not too big of a deal,” Ellis said. “My mom even has a Facebook and checks up on me every once in a while, but other than that they don’t worry as much as they used to.”

Junior high teacher Eric Witters never experienced protective parents concerning online privacy, but believes much precaution must be taken with online profiles.

“When I was younger, we didn’t have these kinds of distractions,” Witters said. “In today’s world with the explosion of social media, parents should be very concerned about what their children can access or post online.”

The PewResearch Center conducted a survey, asking parents their greatest concerns about online activity.

According to the website, some of these expressions of concern are particularly acute for the parents of younger teens; 63% of parents of teens ages 12-13 say they are ‘very’ concerned about their child?s interactions with people they do not know online and 57% say they are ‘very’ concerned about how their child manages his or her reputation online.

Sophomore John Dooman, although not an avid user of social networking sites, still has insight on the matter.

“My parents never really lectured me when I got my Facebook,” Dooman said. “I don’t really log on to my account very often, so they weren’t very concerned about me getting into trouble online. I am still very cautios of who I talk to online. I only talk to people I know.”

For more features, read the Dec. 5 article, Freshman perseveres through sport, despite asthma (VIDEO).