Acadec places 5th in Division I competition

After a semester of dedicated studying, and two intense days focused on preparation for the event, the Academic Decathlon (Acadec) team competed against 24 other Fresno County schools on February 1. For the second straight year, the team placed 5th in Division I, where they were up against schools with up to 10 times the enrollment of Fresno Christian.

“Overall, I am pleased at how we did,” coach Molly Sargent said. “Given the number of other activities the students on campus are in, I believe we did well.”

This year the team was only 32 points away from 4th place, taken by Roosevelt. This represents only a two-question difference over all ten events. The team won six medals, doubling last year’s total. The team appears to be improving.

“Doubling our medals is very significant,” Sargent said. “It shows that our high placement last year was not a fluke.”

Jamie Meadows, ’03, topped the charts with two medals, including one gold in art and a silver one in language and literature.

“I was not expecting to get any medals at all,” Meadows said. “I didn’t even think I had gotten that many questions correct on the section I got a gold in. I was surprised and pleased when they called my name.”

The campus team scored 33,434 points in finishing 5th. Roosevelt finished with 33, 466 in 4th. Edison won the competition with 43,192 points. Coming so close to Roosevelt’s team has provided motivation for some to push even harder next year to crack the top three.

“Despite the hard work, Academic Decathlon was rewarding.” social science bronze medalist John Stevenson, ’04, said. “If I’m on the competition team next year, I hope that I can study harder and take the experience I got this year to better my scores.”

Also receiving medals were seniors Josh Justin and Nathan White with a bronze and silver in language and literature, and music, respectively.

On the Thursday and Friday before the competition, the team took time off school for a rigorous study session. According to Sargent, this was designed to cram in the last bits of information, and to practice their rehearsed and impromptu speeches.

“I am glad the studying is over, but I am also pleased that I could show something for my efforts,” Kari Maddox, ’03, who earned a bronze medal in language and literature, said.

Team two members included seniors Melissa Morris, Lacy Hearnsberger, Jonathan Howard and junior Chris White. Although not competing for medals, team two members had the same experience as team one including earning four units of humanities credit through Fresno State University.

“Although I wasn’t on the competition team, the experience was worth it,” Howard said. “The class allowed me to learn about new subjects. I would definitely recommend the class to anyone wishing to broaden their horizons and earn college credit while doing it.”

For those interested in joining Acadec next year, Sargent has words of encouragement.

“Acadec can be really fun. We are always looking for more people to be on the team,” Sargent said.

For more information about Academic Decathlon, see Molly Sargent in room 621 or leave a message at 297-1695, x150.