Spanish II students to experience Vallarta Supermarkets

To become more acquainted with Mexican cuisine, Spanish teacher Beatriz Foth will take her first and fourth period Spanish II classes to Vallarta Supermarkets, Dec. 3.

Vallarta Supermarkets is a Spanish supermarket and restaurant that sells genuine Mexican cuisine, including produce and traditional Spanish dishes. During the field trip, both classes will be given a tour by either the general manager, Juan Rico, or one of his assistants, and will see various Mexican dishes throughout the market.

Janet Moore, parent of Daniel, ’14, and Andrew Moore, ’16, will be chaperoning the field trip for the fourth period Spanish II class, along with Foth, who will be chaperoning first period.

Foth enjoys going to the supermarket every year because of the wide variety of produce that offers a span of Latino and Mexican Cuisine.

“Vallarta Supermarkets offer a wide variety of Latin foods and products which can only be found at its stores: meat cut to order Latin style (ranchera, diesmillo, lomo de res), spices, hot foods ready to eat, sweet breads made daily, and fresh produce,” Foth said. “In addition to everything else you would expect from a traditional grocery store.”

Foth appreciates that the market serves popular Latino dishes similar to those in Latin cultures and the variety of economical products.

“Mexican and Central American products and dishes are the key elements that have given its big success among the Latino population,” Foth said. “It is great customer service and providing the highest quality products at great prices has remained their constant goal.”

Fourth period Spanish II sophomore Linsey Baker-Pauls is intimidated about the field trip because she realizes that one of the requirements is to order a dish at the supermarket in Spanish.

“I am a little nervous saying my order in Spanish because I am still only in Spanish II, so it will be a little scary because this is my first time,” Baker-Pauls said. “I feel like it’s going to be challenging because we will see a lot of Spanish culture but it will be fun.”

Although sophomore Brittany Lewis has gone to the market before, she is interested in going this time because she is able to use her Spanish. Since the first period Spanish II class is chaperoned by Foth, Lewis feels this will be helpful if she needs assistance.

“I have gone there {Vallarta Supermarkets} before but I have never spoke Spanish there,” Lewis said. “But now I get to use the new language I have been learning for the past two years. I think that since I am with Senora Foth she can assist us with Spanish words while we ask for food at the supermarket. I am excited that we get to use our Spanish outside of the classroom.”

Unlike Baker-Pauls, Lewis is not nervous about using Spanish in the supermarket because she feels that she will be able to use the language easily with two years of experience in Spanish.

“I really don’t think it’s going to be that difficult saying it in Spanish,” Lewis said. “I have the gist of the language because I have taken Senora Foth’s Spanish class for two years, so when I get there it will probably be a lot easier than I expect.”

Foth realizes that the supermarket has been open for 25 years and appreciates the customer service. She is grateful for the supermarket allowing the school to tour the store because the students get to experience the Latino and Mexican culture of cuisine.

“For over 25 years, Vallarta Supermarkets has maintained an image characterized by its service, cleanliness, beautiful decor, a pleasant shopping ambiance and a large variety of products in all departments,” Foth said. “This is what I really enjoy about the grocery store. Also, Spanish 2 students have a chance to hear about and try some of its specialties at the different departments while they enjoy the tour.”

For more information, email Foth. For more news, read the Nov. 29 article, BRIEF: Leadership hosts canned food, warm clothes drive.