Scharf continues with 9-foot burrito tradition (VIDEO)

For the past 13 years, it has been a tradition in Sharon Scharf home economics class to create a nine-foot burrito. Second period home economics continued the tradition this year on Nov. 30.

Scharf, along with Judy Richards, helped the students create the nine-foot burrito recipe that Scharf got from La Victoria. The recipe requires tortillas, refried beans, seasoned meat, tomatoes, green onions, salsa, and sour cream.

Considering that this has been a tradition in Scharf’s class for the past 15 years, students look forward to the oppurtunity every year to build the burrito. Scharf said that she was inspired to start the nine-foot burrito tradition when La Victoria sold her their recipe.

“La Victoria used to encourage people to buy their products by giving out their recipes,” said Scharf. “I found this burrito recipe for an eight-foot burrito and thought it would be fun to take to the next level. That is when I decided to make a nine-foot burrito. I am not one to follow a recipe exactly. I always try to step it up a bit.”

The burrito is assembled like an assembly line. Scharf described how they must put on the layers of ingredients then fold the tortilla in special way so that the filling does not fall out.

“The students are stationed on each side of the burrito like an assembly line,” said Scharf. “The first set of students will go down and spread on the beans and then the next group will put on the cheese and so on. We then have to have half the students fold one side over then the rest of the us fold the other side.”

This was Richards first year helping Scharf make the burritos and was happy to see the kids enjoying themselves. Richards thought that the recipe was definitely out of the ordinary to make such a large burrito, but she thought it was a great project.

“I have never done anything quite like this in my 14 years of teaching home economics,” said Richards. “This was a very fun project that really does a good job of incorporating all the students. It gets everyone involved and all the students working together. I really enjoyed watching the kids build the burrito as if it were an assembly line.”

Freshmen Morgan Koop, who has home economics second period, had high expectations and was not let down. Koop looks forward to participating in the building of the burrito in the future.

“I thought it was going to be fun, and it turned out to be really good,” Koop said. “I didn’t get to eat mine because I wasn’t hungry so i gave it away. But from what I’ve heard it was really good. Given the opportunity I would like to do it again. It was a really fun time.”

Junior Noah Belmont enjoyed the experience of constructing the burrito and liked the end when they were allowed to eat it.

“The burrito building class was really fun,” said Belmont. “We spent most of the class building it, but my favorite part was when we got to eat it. It was a lot better then I thought. Usually home-made burritos are nothing special, but this recipe was really good.”

For more features, read the November 28 article, Survey provides technology-based information.