Scharf continues with 9-foot burrito tradition (VIDEO)

9BurritoSm
[/media-credit] One of Sharon Scharf’s favorite home economics unit is the student creation of the 9-foot burrito.

For the past 13 years, it has been a tradition in Sharon Scharf home economics class to create a nine-foot burrito. Second period home economics continued the tradition this year on Nov. 30.

Scharf, along with Judy Richards, helped the students create the nine-foot burrito recipe that Scharf got from La Victoria. The recipe requires tortillas, refried beans, seasoned meat, tomatoes, green onions, salsa, and sour cream.

Considering that this has been a tradition in Scharf’s class for the past 15 years, students look forward to the oppurtunity every year to build the burrito. Scharf said that she was inspired to start the nine-foot burrito tradition when La Victoria sold her their recipe.

“La Victoria used to encourage people to buy their products by giving out their recipes,” said Scharf. “I found this burrito recipe for an eight-foot burrito and thought it would be fun to take to the next level. That is when I decided to make a nine-foot burrito. I am not one to follow a recipe exactly. I always try to step it up a bit.”

The burrito is assembled like an assembly line. Scharf described how they must put on the layers of ingredients then fold the tortilla in special way so that the filling does not fall out.

“The students are stationed on each side of the burrito like an assembly line,” said Scharf. “The first set of students will go down and spread on the beans and then the next group will put on the cheese and so on. We then have to have half the students fold one side over then the rest of the us fold the other side.”

For more features, read the November 28 article, Survey provides technology-based information.