Annual Constitution test gives way to nerves, excitement

As the 24th annual Consitution test creeps closer, the eighth graders begin to cram in as much study time as possible. The entire unit takes over a month to finish, as eighth grade U.S. history teacher Hallie Rojeski, teaches her students how the American government works.

To help prepare her students for the test, Rojeski gives her students quizes almost everyday. Because there is a lot of material to cover, students are required to to buy an extra binder to store their information. Rojeski also offers study sessions for her students at lunch or after school in hopes to further prepare them for the test.

“It [knowing the constitution] impacts their life,” Rojeski said. “If they don’t learn about the government then they won’t know what an amendment is supposed to say or how something was established. Also, they won’t have any knowledge or understanding of a vote. So this is why I try to help them learn the material as much as possible.”

Rojeski believes that a majority of the class is prepared for the test, but knows there are some who are struggling with the unit.

“Generally, the average score is a B- on the test,” Rojeski said. “This year I’m hoping for the same, and rarely anyone has ever failed the test.”

Emily Fontes,’17, feels prepared for the Constitution test, as she has been constantly studying.

“We have to study everyday for the constitution, by taking notes while in class,” Fontes said. “I feel prepared, because Mrs. Rojeski is doing a very nice job of teaching, and although it is coming soon, I’m ready.”

Bailey Brogan,’16, still remembers the fears and anxieties he had because of the test. Brogan encourages the students to study for the test to be as prepared as they can be.

“It was not something that you could not study for,” Brogan said. “If you didn’t there was a low possibility of you getting a good grade. It was definitely a challenge. Studying, studying, studying is the best thing you can do.”

Senior Ashley Erickson,’13, can still recall the Constitution test and the difficulties that came along with the unit.

“I was definitely scared of taking the test,” Erickson said. “I was getting ready to take the test, and it was such a huge deal. I remember looking forward to the test but once I got into the eighth grade I was overwhelmed by it all. I would recommend that the eighth graders study, study as much as you can, its definitely a lot of information to take in, but if you study enough then you’ll know the material and be fine.”

The day before the test, students are told to dress formally as it is a tradition of the event. However, with other events going on this year they will have their constitution party the day before the test on Dec. 6.

For more news, read the Nov. 27 article, BRIEF: Feather staff sells Candy Cane Grams.