Girls' soccer sport shorts: Fowler Lions Tournament

GIRLS’ SOCCER SPORT SHORTS, 2012-13–
For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Winter sport box scores, 2012-13, for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2012-13 girls’ soccer schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com. FC is currently 0-0-0 in the West Sequoia League and 3-1-3 overall as of Dec. 1. The Eagles will next travel to play in the Mendota, Dec. 3.

EAGLES PLACE THIRD IN FOWLER LIONS TOURNAMENT

Over a course of three days, the varsity girls’ soccer team competed in the Fowler Lions Tournament, Nov. 28-29 and Dec. 1. With a total of six games, the Eagles ended pool play second in their pool, Pool A.

The Eagles continued to play on Saturday to vie for a slot in the championship game. With a record of 3-1-2 over the course of the tournament, the Eagles placed third out of ten teams.

In FC’s first game, they took on the hosts of the tournament, the Fowler Redcats, which resulted in a 1-1 tie.

According to sophomore Gaby Siqueiros, playing Fowler as the first game of the tournament was a challenge but the team was ready and scored early on with the help of her assist.

“I was a bit nervous to play Fowler first, but I loved how we all went out fired up and ready to play our hearts out,” Siqueiros said. “We scored really early in the game, and that pumped us up even more. Even though they ended up scoring, we held them off for most of the game and dominated the field. You have no idea how relieved I was to see Tynin {Fries, ’14} ready to receive the cross.”

After tying the game against Fowler, the Eagles faced the Parlier Panthers in a close game. For most of the game, the score was tied 0-0 until Siqueiros was able to score near the end of the second half.

Defensively, the players were able to hold off the Panthers and prevent them from scoring. Mikayla Miller, ’15, played defensively and was proud that the team was able to stand up against the more aggressive players.

“Parlier was really aggressive and played really hard,” Miller said. “They played the ball outside really well. I’m really proud that we held them off for so long and finally beat them.”

On the second day of the tournament, FC played the Immanuel Eagles and shut them out, 5-0. During the first half, Siqueiros, ’15, and senior Maddie Yee each scored to put the FC Eagles in the lead, 2-0. In the second, Siqueiros put another goal in, along with Kaitie King, ’14, and Mackenzie Devereaux, ’15.

Senior Amy Savage felt that the team worked well together throughout the entire game and was impressed with the amount of goals scored.

“I think the team did a great job,” Savage said. “We worked together pretty well and we got five goals, so I think that’s really good compared to our other games. Our defense blocked them out of our box really well and our offense was able to put a lot of goals in.”

In FC’s second game, Nov. 29, they faced their first loss of the tournament against the Kerman Lions, 1-2. Although the Eagle’s took the lead in the beginning of the game with senior Meredith Monke’s goal and kept the first half 1-0, the Lions came back in the second by scoring two points, which resulted in the 2-1 victory over the Eagles.

After losing their last game to Kerman, the Eagles thought they would play for fifth or sixth place, Dec. 1, but received news that Kerman was disqualified from the tournament for competing in two different tournaments at once. FC therefore ended up placing second in their pool, Pool A, and went on to play the Caruthers Blue Raiders for a shot at the championship game, Dec. 1.

Based on their game against the Blue Radiers, assistant coach Olivia Torres believes that the Eagles’ level of play during the tournament will reflect in their league season.

“Based on the tournament, I think we could take first place in season,” Torres said. “We showed we can play against Caruthers which I believe is the only team that is standing in our way; I believe the biggest competition was Caruthers.”

Due to FC losing their first game on Sat., they went on to play for third place against the Firebaugh Eagles at 12 p.m. FC was able to secure third in the tournament, defeating Firebaugh, 2-0.

The only two goals of the game were scored by senior outside midfielder Meredith Monke and junior Annalise Rosik, who normally plays one of FC’s goalkeepers. According to Rosik, being able to play on the field and scoring felt very satisfying.

“I think that as a team we put forth a lot of effort,” Rosik said. “And I think we were really intense throughout the entire tournament and it showed up in the scores at the end. When coach put me on the field at the end it was just exciting and I just wanted to get out there and try to get another goal to increase our lead. It was fun to be out there with the team and to be able to contribute to our win on Saturday.”

After playing six games in the tournament, Torres was able to observe where the Eagles need to work on their skills, but also saw where their strengths lie.

“I think overall the tournament went really well for us; we took third out of ten teams,” Torres said. “The team needs to work on the first touch and trapping. I think the tournament helped the team bond because after each game the girls sat together and talked about each game and what they could have done better.”

Although there were some aspects the team needed to work on Torres was proud of the accomplishment the girls made. Torres applauds the girls on their new found confidence.

“One of the highlights of the tournament was taking third place,” Torres said. “It was also great watching the girls start with very little confidence, then becoming very confident in themselves and the team.”

For more sports, read the Nov. 29 article, Boys’ soccer sport shorts: Sierra.