Expectations high for annual auction

“Seventy-five, seventy-five, can I hear eighty?going once, twice, sold.” Phrases such as this may be announced by auctioneer, Wayne Huggins at the 20th annual Fresno Christian auction on March 29.

Huggins is a professional auctioneer and close friend of the school. He has been a volunteer for 13 years and continues to offer his services as a donation to the school.

This upcoming auction will offer campus supporters the chance to gather together for food and fellowship with one another. Both a silent and live auction will be held to raise money for campus development and offer tuition assistance for students.

In previous years the auction has brought in about $50,000 and organizers hope this year will be no exception.

“Although this event is a huge fundraiser for the development of Fresno Christian Schools, it is also a fun experience for those involved,” Gary Warkentin, president of the foundation, said. “This is an opportunity for our community to come together and support our school.”

Warkentin has been heading up the auction for several years and is planning on 350-400 attendees. These guests will have the chance to bid on items in the silent auction beginning at 5 p.m. and the live auction at 7:45 p.m.. A steak dinner will be provided for all guests at 6:30 p.m.

Organizers admit it is too early to say what will be auctioned off this year, but they are expecting some unique and valuable items.

Warkentin stated that putting on the annual auction requires much time and effort, but in the end the hard work pays off. He is very thankful to those who offer their services in this endeavor and contributes much of the auction’s previous success to these individuals.

“I worked at the auction my sophomore year and had a lot of fun,” Christopher Haydock, ’03, said. “It was a great opportunity and chance to give back to the school. I served as a runner, taking closing bids to the cashier.”

Any students interested in helping with this event should contact Principal Gary Schultz at 297-9464. Those wanting to help will be handing out brochures on March 3, or selling raffle tickets and serving as runners at the auction.

Students handing out brochures will work three half hour shifts and receive full credit for community service. Those offering their service at the auction will also receive five hours worth of community service.

“Helping at the auction is a great experience for students needing community service,” Schultz said. “It is a fun way for students to get involved while working with their friends and I highly recommend it for anyone interested.”

For further information on donation opportunities contact Warkentin in the Building 5 main office at 299-1695.