Freshman competes in varsity soccer, plays with sister

As a devoted soccer player for the past nine years, freshman Courtney Messer got an opportunity to play on the girls? varsity soccer team as a freshman. Messer was first introduced to the sport in first grade when she attended Maple Creek Elementary School. Since Messer?s father Matt was coaching at the time, he encouraged her to join the team.

Messer contained a tremendous amount of passion towards the sport from the beginning, and it was only natural for her to join the team at FC when she transferred in second grade. Due to her dedication and natural athletic abilities, Messer has been playing for FC for the past seven years.

Even though Messer?s parents, Trish and Matt, have encouraged her to try out various sports, she fell in love with the sport immediately and decided to stick with soccer. According to Messer, she enjoys playing soccer because playing the sport helps her to maintain a healthy life style. It is also beneficial, since it helps her meet new friends.

“I enjoy playing soccer because I am competitive and I like the energy of the game,” Messer said. “I also like being part of a team and it keeps me in good shape. It’s really fun, and it has allowed me to meet new friends.”

Although it may be difficult to play with older and experienced players, Messer appreciates the challenge. She also enjoys playing with teammates who are encouraging.

“It’s a privilege to be playing on the varsity team as a freshman,” Messer said. “My teammates have accepted me and are encouraging. I look up to them and have enjoyed getting to know them. I was kind of worried at first, but I am so thankful that all the girls are nice and positive no matter what.”

Messer says that she appreciates head coach Tony Matinez?s guidance and support. She is also grateful for his Christ-like attitude.

“I love my coach,” Messer said. “He is encouraging to me and is very knowledgeable. He is a Godly example to all of us girls and prays with us before and after every game. He never wants us to give up no matter what. I am glad that I met a coach who does not only care about winning, but pleasing the Lord as well.”

According to Messer, playing on the same team with her older sister Mikayla, ?14, has been a memorable experience. She admires Mikayla for her leadership abilities and skills on the field.

“I personally really like being on the same team with Mikayla,” Messer said. “She gives me a lot of advice and is very encouraging. She always cheers me on and she is a type of person that leads by example, not words. So I hope that I can play like her when I get older.”

Besides playing for FC, Messer also participated in club teams such as Alliance and Crossfire. She believes that joining the club teams has taught her valuable lessons.

“I have played on a club team for two years through Alliance and Crossfire,” Messer said. “It was really fun, and I loved my team. Being on a competition team helped me a lot. My coach was very good and taught me ball control and to never give up.”

Messer?s soccer career has not always been easy. In eighth grade, she got injured during a game, which has caused her to wear a knee brace for the rest of the season. Despite the injuries, she kept her positive mindset.

“A year ago I hyperextended my knee during a game,” Messer said. “I had to wear a knee brace for the rest of the season. I would rest it and ice it, but would ultimately push through the pain. Sometimes it still bothers me. I just believe that if there is no pain, there is no gain.”

According to Messer, her relationship with the Lord has helped her tremendously on the field. The Lord has helped her to control her emotions on the field and represent who she is playing for.

“The Lord has helped me a lot on the field,” Messer said. “He has helped me to keep my temper down when the opposing players can be rough and mean. He also gives me the strength and protection to play the game.”

Mikayla says that she is fond of her younger sister?s skills. She plans on encouraging her sister, since playing with upperclassmen may be difficult for a freshman.

“I think that Courtney is a wonderful soccer player with great skills,” Mikayla said. “I plan on helping her through encouraging words and giving her advice as she needs it throughout the season.”

Besides her sister, Messer also looks up to her senior teammate Maddie Yee, ’13, due to her determination and her persistent attitude on the field.

“I look up to my teammate Maddie Yee,” Messer said. “She is always encouraging everyone on the team to do their best. She fights hard every time she is on the field and she tells us to give it our all.”

Playing soccer has shaped Messer into a stronger individual. She learned not to give up despite the obstacles will faced both in and out of the field.

?Soccer has made me stronger physically and mentally,? Messer said. ?I have learned to push through the hard times and to never give up. I will give it my all in the sport and in life. Soccer is a sport that I will always carry on because it is important to me.?

Martinez says that he is proud of Messer for her determination and ambitious attitude. Messer is always eager to play and gives everything she has on the field.

“Courtney is a very good player,” Martinez said. “I am impressed with her ‘no-quit, can-do’ attitude. She has been asked to play a big role so far, and she has stepped up to the task.”

Trish says that she is proud of her daughter for competing as hard as she can. She believes that Courtney can contribute to the team this season due to her willingness to play hard, and learn from her mistakes.

“We enjoy watching Courtney play soccer,” Trish said. “Because she is a true competitor and it is fun to see her excel at a sport. We are proud of her because she has stepped up to the plate, being the youngest on the team. She has raised the level of her game. Courtney is a hard worker and has a teachable spirit. She wants to learn as much as she can and does not want to let her team down. Because of these attributes, we feel that Courtney will have a positive experience on the varsity soccer team.”

The Eagles will next be competing in the Garces Tournament in the SIlver B Division, Dec. 14-15.

For more sports, read the Dec. 10 article, Boys Basketball Sport Shorts: Corcoran Tournament.