Boys' soccer sport shorts: Fowler

BOYS’ SOCCER SPORT SHORTS, 2012-13–
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for boys’ soccer features). For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Winter sport box scores, 2012-13, for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2012-13 boys’ soccer schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com. FC is currently 0-6 in the West Sequoia League and 1-10-1 overall as of Jan. 28. The Eagles will next travel to play the Fowler Redcats.

FOWLER DEFEATS FC
For the second time this season, the Eagles played the Fowler Redcats, Jan. 29. Despite the Eagles effort throughout the first half, with a 1-1 tie, the Redcats overwhelmed the Eagles in the second half, scoring three unanswered goals to win the game, 4-1.

Head coach Matt Markarian says that the Eagles played exceptionally well and was happy with how the team played.

“We played pretty good,” says Markarian. “For the first time in a while we had all of our team back from injuries. I was happy with how J.P. [Caprioglio] and Juan [Ruelas] played and used their enthusiasm to motivate the team. We just need to finish when have chances to score.”

Senior Nathan Bender says that he thinks the Eagles played well but let up their concentration for a little bit which led to their downfall.

“We had a good game,” said Bender. “I think we gave up a bit in the second half where they took full advantage and scored. I think we played really well. With almost a full squad, we played our hearts and could have almost won.”

Senior Dominic Mendoza says that the Eagles made huge improvements from the previous games.

“Our defense made a great improvement over the past week of practices,” Mendoza said. “Coach Bender showed us what we were doing wrong and how to fix it. We made a few mistakes but with a few more practices our defense will be solid.”

The Eagles will next take on the Parlier High School Panthers in a West Sequoia League matchup, Feb. 4.

For more information, see the Jan. article, Boys soccer sport shorts: Riverdale.