Music department hosts 'Round the Table Carol Sing'

For the third year in a row, the campus music department will host “Round the Table Carol Sing,” Dec. 12-13. For two consecutive evenings, the campus music groups will perform in the FC Gym for parents, students and faculty in order to end to the semester before Christmas break.

The event will include campus choirs, bands and a team from Break the Barriers which will all contribute to the Christmas program. This year?s performance will feature over 150 different performers in ten musical groups. Audiences will be seated in tables in the gym with food and deserts available.

Music director Michael Ogdon heads the evening and is directing this event. Ogdon has been working hard to train musical groups for the Christmas concerts months in advance.

“Every group is working hard to perfect their selections now that the concerts are only a week away,” Ogdon said. “Parents are involved, too, as many are signed up to decorate the center of nearly 40 tables that the audience will be sitting around.”

The woodshop classes also agreed to participate in the preparation fo the event by assisting Ogdon in setting up the decorations while home economic classes volunteered to bake cookies for the evening.

Freshman Josh Carter helped to create the lamps that will be used during the Christmas program. Carter has been helping with the event every year.

“We built the lamps for the Carol Sing-Along {sic},” Carter said. “Building them was very repetitive, but it feels good to know we’re helping people out. To be honest,, I didn’t have fun building it, but I do this every year so I have gotten pretty good at it.”

This is the first year that Jason Swain, ’15, will perform in this event as a voaclist in the Celebration Choir.

“I feel that it?s going to be good because we have practiced daily,” Swain said. “One of my favorite songs to sing is ‘Glad Tidings of Joy’ because it has a good melody.”

Although he is excited, Grant Flammang, ’14, cannot help but to be a little anxious about the night, due to his lack of experience in performing in a choir.

“I like music in general, although I am not so good at singing,” Flammang said. “I am little bit nervous about the concert because this is my first year in choir.”

As a veteran musician, Chloe Duerr, ’14, thinks the preparation for this event is difficult but enjoyable.

“To be honest, we are going through hard times because Mr. {Garry} Smith is not here anymore,” Duerr said. “I still feel good about the concert because we are slowly but surely improving everyday. I am used to this because this is my third year performing in this event.”

Campus science teacher Dan Harris, who will perform with Break the Barriers for the second time in the concert. He remains optimistic about the performance.

“I am really looking forward to even more collaboration with Break the Barriers and Fresno Christian,” Harris said. “While, we don?t have the same younger kids from last year in our group, the new group of kids will be fun. I still think it is a great opportunity to participate.”

This is an opportunity for campus community members to gather and celebrate pre-Christmas tidings. Spectators are welcome to to pick up advance tickets but seating is limited.

Tickets are free, but must be ordered for pre-assigned seating, using the form that went home with all students this week. Extra order forms are available in the school offices and the Music Suite. The music department invites all students and their families to join them for a wonderful evening of Christmas music and delicious refreshments.

For more information, please contact Ogdon at 559.287.4226 or by email. Campus offices will also take ticket requests at 559.299.1695 or see the schedule below for concert information.

PERFORMANCE DATES:

Wednesday, Dec. 12 at 5:30 p.m.
Features the Elementary Band, Elementary Choir, Adoration Ensemble, Break the Barriers and Celebration Choir.

Thursday, Dec. 13 at 5:30 p.m.
Features Jr. High Ladies, High School Band, high school fifth period choir and Celebration Choir

Thursday, Dec. 13 at 7:30 p.m.
Features 7-12 Jazz Band, 7-12 Percussion, Adoration Ensemble, high school seventh period choir and Celebration Choir.