BRIEF: Campus handmade blankets to go to local charities

To bless people in the community who have experienced hurt and suffering, FC elementary students made fleece blankets to donate to local charities, Dec. 13. During their lunch and later periods, students gathered to tie the blankets, pre-cut by project leader Marylou Savage, parent of Amy Savage, ’13.

The blankets will be going to local organizations including the Family Healing Center, the Evangel Home and Rescue the Children, an extension of the Family Rescue Mission. Campus classes donated material for and tied 70 blankets, which will be divided amongst the charities as they have need.

Savage believes that even a simple gift like a blanket can make a huge difference in someone’s life. She also led a similar project last year, and decided that the result was worth the effort.

“The women and children who’s need for comfort and security in a traumatic time in their lives will be benefitted by the gentle hug a cozy blanket can give,” Savage said. “All the blankets’ future recipients will be prayed for after the blankets are completed.”

Fifth grader Macy Thompson was happy to tie blankets when she saw the need for loving hands to knot them. She is excited that she was able to provide warmth and comfort for people in need.

“I am excited about these blankets because they are going to people who maybe could not buy them,” Thompson said. “Some people don’t even have the warmth so I want to help give that to them.”

Campus teacher Toni Hancox appreciates the eagerness the classes have expressed as they have brought in material and have looked forward to the project’s completion. She is especially glad that her students have a chance to give this Christmas instead of just receiving from others.

“I’m excited because of their hearts,” Hancox said. “They’ve been jazzed all week about this and it’s great to have the opportunity to bless others by giving blankets to people they won’t even meet.”

In the beginning of this project, Savage wanted to provide an opportunity for kids to serve the community during a season usually engulfed by gifts and greed. She knows that there are people in the city who do not have as much as many campus families, so she is excited to have a chance to share what she and the students have with others in a hands-on and interactive way.

“A lot of the people who are receiving these blankets have been abused,” Savage said. “I just want our gift to maybe take a little bit of the sting away and let them know that they are loved.”

The blankets were loaded up and delivered right after school to the various locations and Savage hopes that the recipients of the blankets will be cheered this season by the thoughts and prayers of the students who made them.

Savage is excited about this project not only for the effect she hopes it will have on the recipients, but also on the students. She desires that students know that Christmas is about giving, not just receiving, and that this experience will teach them to share what they have with others.

“I consider all the effort we have put into this project worth it because I don’t want children to be so consumed with presents and Santa Claus,” Savage said. “I’d really like them to focus on other people, people who have less than we do. If we can teach them that at this age, hopefully it will stick with them for later in life.”

For more information on this project, contact Savage.

For more news, read the Dec. 12 article, Faculty redesigns letterman jackets, compliment school colors.