Third annual Christmas concert combines musical groups (VIDEO)

For the third consecutive year, the FC music program hosted “Round the Table Carol Sing,” an event which featured campus choirs, bands, the high school American Sign Language (ASL) Club and a team from Break the Barriers (BTB). Over 150 different performers in ten musical groups contributed to the performance.

The groups performed over two nights, Dec. 12-13, in the FC Gym. Wednesday’s performance was held at 5:30 p.m. and two concerts were given on Thursday, 5:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m..

The following music groups were part of at least one of the performances: FC’s elementary band, the elementary choir, high school ladies’ adoration ensemble, Break the Barriers, the celebration choir, jr. high ladies choir, high school band, high school fifth period choir, 7-12 jazz band, 7-12 percussion and the high school seventh period choir.

Tickets to the concert were free but had to be ordered for pre-assigned seating, due to the demand for spots. Upon arrival at the FC Gym, audiences were greeted by performers and directed to their seats. During intermission, they were served apple cider and desserts by the choir members.

Directed by Michael Ogdon and Susan Ainley and accompanied by Kim Schapansky on the piano, “Round-the-Table-Carol-Sing” featured many popular Christmas songs, as well as some new tunes. During the performance, Ogdon led a segment of Christmas carols, accompanied by the ASL Club, and encouraged audience participation.

Ogdon thought the overall performances of Thursday went much smoother than the first production on Wednesday. He especially appreciated the desserts made and donated by choir students’ parents.

“The cookies have been excellent, so we’re really glad for that” Ogdon said. “Everything has been a lot smoother tonight than it was the first night, so I was happy to have that happen. The thing I think we most need to work on is enthusiasm and facial expressions but overall, everything went well.”

A good friend and colleague of Ogdon, Professor William Lock, either arranged or wrote many of the selections performed by the choral and instrumental groups. Of everything that happened during the performances, Ogdon most looked forward to having him come to the last production and hearing his songs performed by FC’s choir and bands.

“William Lock, one of my good friends from Biola [Bible Institute of Los Angeles] is going to come and he’ll be able to hear his music played,” Ogdon said. “I’m really looking forward to having him here.”

Sophomore Shannon Martens was a part of the choir, ladies’ ensemble and the ASL Club. She enjoyed performing and thinks it went well, but was a little bit disappointed with the sign language group’s lack of preparation and coordination.

“The night went okay,” Martens said. “Our group could have prepared more, but it was not awful. Part of the time we did not know where we were supposed to be, but we eventually got where we needed to be.”

Looking ahead, she feels that it would be beneficial to the group to learn more of the Christmas carols than one verse of the songs. Despite the frustrations of the performance, though, Martens hopes that the ASL Club will be a part of the event again next year.

“If we could do it again, we need to learn more than the first verse of the song,” Martens said. “ASL was a lot of fun, though. I would love to do it again and learn more!”

FC Principal Todd Bennett came to the program to support his students but also just to enjoy the music he knows they have worked so hard on. He appreciates their effort, talent and all of the work that choir directors Ogdon and Ainley put into the success of the event each year.

“I always look forward to just the chance to celebrate Christmas the way we’re intended to as Christians,” Bennett said. “I’m glad we were able to come together and worship and just have joy. I think Mr. Ogdon and Mrs. Ainley really pull it off every year and it’s just a lot of fun.”

Bennett has never really had a favorite group of performers in this event but he enjoys all the groups equally for the effort and energy they each contribute, regardless of their age.

“Being the K-12 principal, I really enjoy hearing all the groups,” Bennett said. “I love performance, so I appreciate it in each stage along the learning journey. I don’t really have a favorite group; I like all of them.”

Throughout the performance, Bennett also shared short inspirational and thought-provoking devotionals by Ravi Zacharias. A few of his selections included “Christmas Contrasts,” “Merry Gentlemen?” and “Christmas Triumphant.”

Mikayla Miller, ’15, appreciated the performance and her ability to be a part of it but is glad that the semester is over and that she can have a break from choir. She enjoyed the night, especially with the decorations and Christmas cheer.

“I’m was excited to get it over with but I liked being in the Christmas spirit,” Miller said. “All the lights were really pretty and I liked seeing everybody dressed up, getting to sing, and having Ogdon not so stressed out anymore.”

Franklin Heinrichs, grandfather of sophomore Callista Fries, attended the performance to watch his granddaughter sing, although he was not sure what to expect for the rest of the performance.

“She’s a very special granddaughter to me and I was excited to come and watch her perform,” Heinrichs said. “I wasn’t sure I knew what the the program was about but I came here to see her sing.”

Campus teacher Dan Harris has been involved with Break the Barriers and he appreciated the connection between FC and BTB that Round the Table Carol Sing was able to provide. He hopes to see more of this relationship between FC students and the kids at BTB as the year progresses and even at future events such as Round the Table.

“I love the partnership between Fresno Christian and Break the Barriers, and I wish it to grow,” Harris said. “I want to see as much BTB as possible here at Fresno Christian, and I want to see as much Fresno Christian as possible at BTB. I am hoping that with two appearances under our belt, we can make this a tradition.”

Kathy Pierce, assistant to Superintendent Debbie Siebert, took a break from her work to enjoy the performance. Although she did not have a relative performing in the program, she decided to come anyway to enjoy the music presented by the music groups.

“I always enjoy hearing the kids sing and it always blesses me to hear their voices and harmonies,” Pierce said. “There was not someone I specifically came for but I know a number of them, so I enjoy seeing them sing up there.”

Eighth grader Elizabeth Baker was a part of the junior high ladies’ choir and the junior high ladies’ ensemble as well as the 7-12 percussion band. She most enjoyed the songs her choirs sang towards the beginning of the night, but she was glad to be a part of the percussion group as well.

“I was really looking forward to singing Christmas songs,” Baker said. “My favorite songs were at the beginning of the performance but I also got to perform with the percussion later on.”

Senior Stefi Peck, member of the adoration ensemble, the celebration choir and the 7-12 percussion band, appreciated the night because it was the last Christmas choir performance that she will be a part of with FC. Although she was a little sad about it being her final night, she still enjoyed the special night of Christmas, caroling and community.

“I’m was just excited to perform in front of everyone, especially being a senior,” Peck said. “It was my last Christmas performance and it was just a sentimental experience. Of all the groups performing, I liked Break the Barriers and I really hope they come again.”

For more features, read the Dec. 14 article, Most wonderful time: Join the discussion, 2012 (VIDEO).