Latin cuisine impresses with artistry, flair

Not all Latin cuisine is the same; each country varies with their ingredients but the one attribute that is never skipped is the presentation of the plate with bright, lively colors. Limon, the local Peruvian eatery has captured their customers with exotic Latin-infused flavors lightly influenced by the Japanese, Indian, and Chinese traditions.

Filled with spacious seating arrangements and high ceilings are features that are unique to the Central Valley restaurant-goers. Furnished and designed with a modern edge, patrons can enjoy the dark brown and bright lime colors that mix well to provide a relaxed social environment for others to enjoy. To accompany the walls are oil based paintings while music is played softly in the background.

Limon opened its doors to San Francisco on July 11, 2002. The Castillo family decided after years of treasured Peruvian food they had eaten it was time for the world to know Peruvian cuisine. With much success in the bay-area the Castillo family decided to branch out into the Valley building a restaurant that accommodates 100 guests and a bar. Limon was opened in Fresno Dec. 27, 2008. Since then the restaurant has received “Best Newcomer” the same year in 2008, and has been given rave reviews since.

Having been there only a year ago, I couldn’t remember what I had eaten but I knew it had chicken. The menu was filled with different entrees that had the same words in Spanish but meant something different in Peru, but the waiter was nice enough to explain the differences between the plates. I ordered a house salad, Tallarin Con Pollo and a side of creamy Mac-n-Cheese.

Before the main entree, arrived the fresh cold iceberg wedge salad layered with a large amount of hardy ingredients. Sliced hardboiled eggs were to the side of the salad, with crisp onion rings on top, sprinkled with grated cheese and homemade ranch dressing. To top off the salad was crispy crunchy bacon that added to the various flavors that consumed the plate. The house salad was enough to satisfy my stomach while waiting for the main entree to be served.

The Tallarin Con Pollo is linguini sauteed with seared, sliced chicken breast and carrots and peas. The garlic white wine mixed with Peruvian pepper sauce was drizzled over the plate creating a zesty sizzling pop in my mouth. The prepared dish looked as though it was a work of art with many exuberant colors. The carrots were a vibrant orange, and tasted seasoned as well as the texture being soft. The ingredients were well balanced and never over powered, the sauce was very decadent and well made, making the pasta and chicken very moist.

After looking at the portion size of the food presented to the table adjacent to me I ordered creamy truffle Mac and Cheese to help fill myself to capacity. The mac and cheese that I ordered was creamy and authentic. It was a soft macaroni filled with rich bright orange cheese infused with truffles. For those who do not know what truffles are, do not confuse them with the delectable candy; truffles are an underground fungus that is a delicacy eaten in Eastern Europe.

Although the Tarallin Con Pollo was very satisfying, I was disappointed with the amount served, especially for the price. The best part of my dining experience was the mac and cheese, despite the small portioned main entree. Limon offers a traditional Peruvian experience with various old world infused recipes.

Limon is located on 9455 North Fort Washington Road, Fresno. You can contact them at 559.435.1015 or visit their website.

For more reviews, read the Jan. 7 article, Christmas flick impresses with music, adaption (VIDEO).