Boys basketball sport shorts: Tranquillity

BOYS’ BASKETBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2012-13

For a preview to the Eagles basketball season and a look at their scores so far, check out the Winter Sports Box Scores, 2012-2013, for dates, times, and all winter sports.

Also, please be sure to check out the Eagle’s schedule for the upcoming season at Max Preps. FC is currently 4-8 overall and 0-0 in the West Sequoia League as of Jan. 4. The Eagles’ next game will be Jan. 4, as they travel to Lemoore to take on the Kings Christian High School Crusaders.

BOYS’ BASKETBALL SPORTS SHORTS, 2012-13
Eagles hold off Tigers, capture win–Jan. 4

The Eagles traveled toTranquillity High School to take on the Tigers, Jan. 3. FC was coming off a four game losing streak and was hungry for a win.

FC won the tip and took an early lead. However the Tigers hung around and never let the point difference get into double digits. Going into half time the Eagles led, 26-21.

To start the second half, the tigers hit two straight threes and took the lead. FC held its cool and retook the lead as they entered the final quarter. However, the Tigers had the home-court advantage and carried over their momentum from the run in the third quarter.

Tranquillity tied the game with a three pointer with three seconds remaining to send the game into overtime. In overtime, the Eagles led by one with a few seconds to go, but two clutch free-throws by junior Caleb Nale sealed the game and the Eagles won 56-53.

Senior Matt Howard (22 points), sophomore Trevor Beal (12), and junior Caleb Nale (11) led Fresno Christian in scoring.

Senior captian Brandon McCormick says that it felt good to get a win, but the team still has a few things to work on.

“We played pretty well,” McCormick said, “but not well enough to succeed. The game was too close for comfort and we should’ve beat them by a lot more. We definitley have a few little things to work on but overall, I am excited to see what the season has for us. It was a confidence booster to show that we are capable of winning and doing great things this season.”

The Eagles next game will be on Jan. 4 as Fresno Christian travels to Lemoore to take on the Kings Christian High School Crusaders.

For more information, read the Jan. 2 article Boys basketball sport shorts: Dinuba Tournament.