Girls' soccer sport shorts: Parlier

GIRLS’ SOCCER SPORT SHORTS, 2012-13–
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ soccer features). For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Winter sport box scores, 2012-13, for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2012-13 girls’ soccer schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com. FC is currently 1-0 in the West Sequoia League and 6-5-1 overall as of Jan. 9. The Eagles will next host the Fowler Redcats, Jan. 11.

FC TAKES FIRST LEAGUE GAME, 4-1
In FC’s first West Sequoia League game of the season, the girls soccer team faced the Parlier Panthers on their home field and were able to pull away with a win, 4-1, Jan. 9.

The Eagles started the game energized and scored twice within the first half of the game, with senior Maddie Yee and sophomore Mackenzie Devereux each contributing one. In the second half, the ball was kicked over FC’s defensive line, scoring a goal for the Panthers. Parlier could not defeat the Eagles after they scored two more goals by senior Jenna Orcutt and junior Mikayla Messer.

Senior Jenna Orcutt scored her first goal so far in the season, which pumped up the team, ending with the game with a win. Orcutt focuses on her mentality to go onto the field and play to the best of her ability.

“It felt absolutely amazing scoring my first goal. I didn’t expect it and it was totally in the moment,” Orcutt said. “For me, it is a huge accomplishment. I always try to go out on the field with a mindset of doing my best and working hard. On Friday I hope to do the same.”

The first game of the season brought excitement and movitvation which kept the spirit level up, helping the girls reach success. With all the girls playing a part in the win, it was a great way to start off the season, according to Orcutt.

“Our energy level was up and we were both nervous and excited for this game,” Orcutt said. “We have been working on a lot of things in practice that we used today in the game. Today, everyone was able to play a position, so it was great. This game was a very good way to start out the season.”

Coach Tony Martinez was satisfied for the win and the teams increasing progress of their skills and abilities. With the help of assistant coaches Olivia Torres and Jose, Martinez anticipates the rest of the season.

“The highs in the game would be that our passing has improved, as well as our aggressiveness,” Martinez said. “This win is a great confidence booster for the team. I think coach Olivia and coach Jose are doing an excellent job in the passing and defending areas. I look forward to much success throughout this season.”

For more sport shorts, read the Jan. 10 article, Boys’ basketball sport shorts: Sierra.